Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Bear Hugs

A friend of mine passed away this past year from cancer. I met her through my daughter. My daughter and her daughter became best friends in High School. I went to work Katy's freshman year and Barb, my friend helped me with the carpooling of my children back and forth to school. She was one of the nicest ladies you would ever want to be around. She loved to talk and could keep you entertained for hours. I sold Avon around that time on the side also, and she always bought from me. She especially loved lipstick. When she passed away I mentioned to her daughter, Christine that if they wanted to save some of her clothes, I could make some bears out of the clothes, or whatever they wanted. I made 8 bears for all 8 grand kids and one bear for Christine, her daughter. The brown terry bear on the bottom right is one I made for her. The outfit is one that I sized down from an outfit Barb wore to Christine's wedding rehearsal dinner party. I made her some nice red lips to remember Barb's love of lipstick. I feel bad about all the chances I had to visit with her when she was still with us, and was always too busy or something. I wish I had made more time for her. She was so easy to be with! These are some bear hugs for her grand kids that she adored!

7 comments:

The Crusty Crone said...

The bears are so cute and what a wonderful idea. How thoughtful.

Betty Flocken said...

What a wonderful gift for her grandchildren AND for her. I'm sure she loves knowing they have a small piece of something that belonged to her.
Don't beat yourself up over not visiting as often as the years went by; unfortunately, it's something we all tend to do. Your friend too, I'll bet.

Sandy said...

That IS a great idea. They are darling..

When my friend's husband died at a young age, my friend had his clothes made into quilts for the two daughters who were junior high school age. I thought that was so cool.

I think what you did is great, making these bears.

Gramma Ann said...

What a wonderful sweet and thoughtful thing to do. I'm sure they will all treasure those cute little bears for years to come in memory of their grandmother and mother.

Winifred said...

What a lovely thoughtful thing to do for them. We all put off going to see people as our lives always seem to be full. I lost a friend 3 years ago. She had moved south to live and I worked full time then. You always think you should have done more. So don't worry about it, what you did was a lovely way for them to remember her and you too.

Rudee said...

Well isn't that a wonderful thing to do for remembrance? You're so clever Brenda. I'd never have thought to do such a thing. I adore the red lips.

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.

Caritas said...

Brenda Kay! I'm sure Mrs. Pinkerton is up there smiling. You are a "sweet" girl ... Love you.

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever