Saturday, December 13, 2008

Oh Christmas Tree Oh Christmas Tree

Here is our tree for this year. We didn't put on all of our ornaments because after 31 years there are just too many. I also thought it would save time taking it all down. I should be wrapping gifts to put under it but instead I am sitting on the computer trying to journal some memories. I thought of some reasons why it is so hard to get into the spirit of Christmas for me and wanted to try and write them out. I decided while my husband and I were putting the tree all together what my analogy of it is. Getting out all of the decorations and putting them out is too EMOTIONAL! That is why it is so hard for me to get in gear. It is like seeing your life flash before your eyes, or a near-death experience. Well, that is a bit of an exaggeration but just trying to make a point. Every ornament brings back a memory. My childrens little school ornaments. Their Godmother's ornaments to them. Our first years together. Too Much! All that and just the experience of Christmas songs that deepen my faith. My appreciation for Jesus and the messages he left for us to live our lives by. His sufferings so that we could be forgiven for our daily sins. I had always thought that my blogs would never be about my religious views or politics because those subjects can just lead to too much debate, and I don't feel like going there. But I am starting to relax with that somewhat because, one I don't have a large reader audience and two I really would prefer to have a blog that is about my memories and daily thoughts and activities. I used to keep a written journal for many years of just that. With blogging you can add pictures and it is just so much more fun. I don't mind sharing my thoughts with the public, and for the most part I have never really had any negative comments left here. That being said, I will add one more little memory I had today. The first year that Bob and I were married we had a cat named Ricky that my boss gave me. He was all white and had one green eye and one blue eye. We later got him a friend. A large cat that we named Lucy. They used to have fun wrestling in the floor and of course the larger cat Lucy always won the battle. I used to decorate the tree with the shiny tinsel, and we didn't catch Ricky eating it, that I remember but we did notice some tinsel coming out of his butt and him trying to chase it in circles. That is when we assumed he must be eating it, and so that was the last year for the tinsel. Now our dog, Clifford just tries to bury bones or whatever he can find to bury under the skirt. When you get older it is hard to climb under there and straighten it all out. Better go get to the gift wrapping so that I have something to hold down the skirt, from future bone burying.

9 comments:

BJ said...

I love the picture of your tree! It looks so beautiful! It is nice and big....just how I love Christmas trees.

I love the stories that you shared too. I swear.....I have a cat story almost identical to yours! That made me laugh because I have been there with the tinsel situation!

Thanks for sharing some of your memories. And I can't wait to see pictures of Maddie! She will really have fun this year.

Rudee said...

Life with pets is never dull!

As for your deeper thoughts, our individual faiths are part of what makes us all so interesting. I don't see how anyone could find fault or take insult with your beliefs. And politics, unless you're like my brother, we can agree to disagree and still be friends. He hasn't called me since the election. Obviously, his guy didn't win. Sooner or later, he'll tire of holidays alone.

Rudee said...

Oh! And your tree is beautiful. I'm going to take my cue from you and cut back on the decorations. I have a lot from the past 25 years too.

Renie Burghardt said...

Hi Brenda,

Your Christmas tree looks beautiful! I finally put a picture of mine up on my side bar.

Christmas is very emotional for me as well. So many memories of when my children were young. Ornaments collected over the years. Little gifts they made and gave me. Baking Christmas cookies together. I could go on and on. And going to church on Christmas where all the Christmas hymns just makes me tear up so badly that I can barely stand it. But I do love Christmas-the meaning, the celebration of the birth of our Savior. It's such a beautiful, meaningful time of the year. And for you, seeing it all through Maddie's eyes will be so special and sweet.

Well, I could go on and on but I'd better not. Have a lovely Sunday, as you remember the special times in the past, and make new special memories, that Maddie will remember fondly when she is older.

Holiday hugs,

Renie

Rositta said...

Your tree is wonderful. We are not having one this year since we are traveling to Calgary, but my son has promised to put up a 9 foot tree in his new house just for us. It will be the first time in three years we are all together, sadly without my parents though...ciao
ps always write what you want and don't worry about readers. You will attract like people.

Reader Wil said...

Your tree is beautiful and I thank you for sharing your memories with us. It is emotional for me too. The first x-mas after my husband died in November 1999 was the worst. My Australian daughter and her kids went back to Australia in December. My other daughter went with her for a few weeks. I wanted her to go to help her with the little ones.
Our cats were always climbing the x-mas tree, which fell down. The result was broken balls. So we started to buy wooden decorations.

Sandy said...

trying again...real quick, third time or so....love the tree and the red drapes..now gonna try to post this.

MYRA said...

The tree looks great! Beautiful read curtains too! 8-)

Winifred said...

Brenda that tree is beautiful and what a lovely setting.

I've put less on my tree too this year. Everyone seems to have much taller and narrower shaped trees now.

I love your story about the cats. They are so funny aren't they. My husband says no more once these 2 old ones have gone but I'll miss them so much.

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever