Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Slow Down.... You Move Too Fast

I haven't had much time lately to post anything, but I was just visiting Winifred's blog and reading her story of her missing purse and it changed my mood. After I added my comment the verification letters were scrugh. Ha! I took that as a sign for me to stop being such a bah humbug. I think this is the first year I may not get out the Christmas decorations. My favorite thing to bring out is the nativity scene I have and the advent candles. We are going on the third week of advent already and I think it is just too late to get it all out. I have zero Christmas shopping done and no Christmas cards ready to mail out. I do indeed feel like a scrooge. However, maybe on Thursday and Friday I will change my mind.
Winifred's story made me realize that it is just the little acts of kindness that make Christmas special. I did have something similar happen to me once. I lost a check in the parking lot and a kind person mailed it back to me, but with no return address, so I did not know who to thank. I was amazed that someone would take the time to do this. I enjoy hearing these heart warming stories.
This time of year is just too busy! I am thinking about a song from the 60's when I chose what to title this post. I can't think of the name of artist right now, but the main line in the song is "Slow down, you move too fast, you've got to make the moment last...something something...feeling groovy! So.... "Have yourself a groovy day"!

7 comments:

Gramma Ann said...

Brenda, Simon and Garvonel...whatever his name is sang Feeling Groovy. There is a little video of them singing it on YouTube.

Rudee said...

Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel

59th Street Bridge Song

Slow down, you movin' too fast
You gotta make the moment last
Just kickin' down the cobblestones
Lookin' for fun and
Feelin' groovy

Hello lampost
Whatcha knowin?
I've come to watch your flowers growin'
Ain'tcha got no rhymes for me?
Doo Bee Doo Doo,
Feelin' groovy

Got no deeds to do
No promises to keep
I'm dappled and drowsy and ready to sleep
Let the morningtime drop all its petals on me...
Life, I love you,
All is groovy

Brenda said...

Wow! I never in a million years would have guessed them! I was going to guess Little Rascals?!??!?!

Renie Burghardt said...

Hi Brenda,

I was going to say Simon and Garfunkle as well, but Rudee beat me to it.

I have had major winter doldrums here, but am slowly getting into the spirit of things. Acts of kindness are definately what make the meaning of Christmas special.

Have a groovy evening!

Holiday hugs,

Renie

Sandy said...

Hi...I'll have to remember to visit Winifred...and Gramma Ann too...I think I need my blog reader thing back on my page.

I hear ya about no time!! I think I'll get my tree up but not sure. Only doing it for the little ones.

That's great about the check...

Winifred said...

Hi Brenda

I love Simon and Carbuncle as we used to call them!

Don't worry there's masses of time left. I never finish my shopping until Christmas Eve no matter how early I start. I think I've an inbuilt thingy that slows me down. My daughter in law had all her shopping done and wrapped by the end of October! I know she is pregnant but where's the Christmas spirit in that?

I can't believe people have their decorations up already. I never put mine up until a week before Christmas, it'll be the week end at the earliest before I attempt anything. Takes me that long to persuade Eric to climb up into the loft to get them out. He moans like mad about how many boxes there are because I won't throw anything away. I just laugh at him and tell him to stop moaning! Other people seem to take them down really quickly, mine stay up until 12th Night. Once I've gone to the trouble of putting them up I hate taking them down especially the lights.

Betty Flocken said...

I'm ALMOST done with Christmas Shopping and ALMOST done with Christmas Cards. I'm tired though and stressed so I'm feeling a little like Scrouge too.

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever