Sunday, December 14, 2008

Today we went to a church service at the church where my husband and I got married. Our niece still attends there every week, and today she was playing bells. It was very beautiful and a treat to get to go back there. I don't think we have been there since we had our daughter baptized there 28 years ago. This church is in south St. Louis and we live in St. Charles which is about 40 minutes away. My husband and his family attended this church when he was small. I am not sure how old it is, but it is still in excellent condition. Our daughter and baby Maddie went with us. I took baby Maddie to the restroom to change her diaper and they had a little sitting room and I thought I would let her crawl around for a minute. I quickly changed my mind because they had the old heat radiators going and they felt very hot.


With our disposable world that we live in these days, it made me wonder how they maintain these and how many people still use them. The heat felt great, but I wonder about the safety and upkeep of them. I am going to guess that with this type of heat, you would not need all the ducts we have in our modern homes, for the air conditioner and heat. I grew up in a house with a coal stove for heat. I wonder how mothers keep their little ones from crawling over there and getting burned. I also remember my own children spending more time in their playpen when they were younger. The portable playpens they have now aren't really big enough for a child to stay in very long to play in. I was curious and just googled playpens and now see that a few places sell larger ones, but they are more like gates. I think when the next grandchild comes along, I will look into getting one like I had with my kids, if they still make them.
Gotta get back to work now. Just wanted to keep track of my day!

5 comments:

Rudee said...

That's a beautiful altar Brenda.

Growing up, we had radiant heat in one of our earlier homes. It was warm but unsightly. It's hard to disguise them and they don't give off cool air in the summer.

Reader Wil said...

Thanks for your visit and your lovely post about your church. I remember that when my children were toddlers I took them to the stove and showed them that it was very hot by keeping my hand almost against it and asked them to do the same. The eldest said "No", but the second one, who is always curious to try things out, actually wanted to do so. I prevented it of course.

Sandy said...

Hi Brenda, (hoping this gets through)...

We had floor registers when we were growing up. I remember they were warm, but not hot! I have no idea how my mom kept us away from them when we were babies.

I enjoyed your post and seeing the church.

Poetikat and the Hyggecats said...

I love the old churches. Actually, I'm a big fan of incense. I know some people don't like the smell or the sting of it in their eyes, but there's something comforting about incense for me.

I think, Brenda, that most people have covers for those radiators that will keep them safe from tiny hands.

I really liked this post. Your experiences and emotions really come across well and I'm sure we can all relate on some level.

Peace!

Kat

Renie Burghardt said...

Hi Brenda,

Oh, it must have been nice to be back at the old church where you were married. And the bells must have been beautiful!

We've been having freezing rain, sleet and frigid cold today. Hope your weather has been better.

Hugs,

Renie

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever