Sunday, December 28, 2008

A Very Thoughtful Christmas Present


Katy and Brian gave us tickets to go see "Wizard Of Oz" with The St. Louis Symphony Orchestra for Christmas and we saw it today. It was a very special day. You would swear I never get out to do anything fun, because I was snapping pictures like crazy, and taking every little thing in, just like a kid in a candy store!
The program started at 3:00 in the afternoon, so it was still light out and the sky was beautiful. I'll show those pictures later.
We have never been to one of these before, but when I came home and started researching how they do it, I found out this is not new. Many places have been doing this for 10 years. They showed the film on a big screen and then have the Symphony play all the music. I just couldn't figure out if they played with the music in the film or took the music out. I am still somewhat confused about it, but I think they edit the music out and keep the sound effects in.


We used to have season tickets several years ago to the Chamber Orchestra but have not been there since. This production had every instrument you could imagine. Well, that is a bit of an exaggeration but the entire stage was full! They all had on ruby slippers. Makes me want to go out and buy a pair myself.
The movie was restored in 2005, but I am not so sure I liked it. Some parts were much better looking than the original, but then some parts I thought the colors were overdone. Especially the reds. It reminded me of when I try to "fix" photos that I take in Picasa I feel like I overdo it sometimes. It seems to look fine on my laptop but then when I see it on someone elses screen it doesn't look as good. The reds were definitely too red for me in the film. I have never watched this movie with anyone other than my family so that part was a little different, with all the laughter and clapping at certain parts. We have seen this movie so many times we have it memorized. It is one of those movies though that you can watch that many times and still find it fascinating or see some little thing that maybe you didn't see before.
I sat there trying to remember what year I first saw the movie and couldn't remember. I also can't remember how many times I have seen it. I remember my Dad saying he went and saw it 3 times when it first came to the movie show in 1939. He must have been about 20 years old, since he was born in 1919.
This time watching it, I found I had to really pull myself away from the film at times and pay attention to the symphony and all of the talent there.


Here is picture of the chandeliers in the balcony of Powell Hall.





Right down the street from Powell Hall is where Katy and Brain got married.
The church is called St Francis Xavier College Church.
They both graduated from St. Louis University nearby.



This was a shot of the church at night.

Thanks Katy and Brian for a very special gift!

11 comments:

Katy said...

Those photos turned out nice Mom. Glad you liked it!

Renie Burghardt said...

The photos are beautiful, Brenda! What a lovely present.

Have a great day.

Hugs,

Renie

Reader Wil said...

Both Powell Hall and St Francis Xavier College Church are beautiful buildings! Great you had such a wonderful night!
I wish you a wonderful 2009.

Betty Flocken said...

The show looks wonderful but THE PHOTOS YOU TOOK.!!! What a beautiful place!

Rudee said...

What a perfect gift! I love listening to symphonies-no matter what music they play. I'm sure this one was spectacular. The Wizard of Oz is one of my all time favorite movies. My best friend's daughter was always afraid of the wicked witch and couldn't watch the movie. When she died and we cleaned out her apartment, we found a copy of Wicked. I was so surprised to find that and I took it home to read. That year, we went to see Wicked for her. She'd overcome her fear and found Elphaba to just be misunderstood and not evil at all!

Love the pictures Brenda. That church is stunning.

Sandy said...

Love love the beautiful photos you got. What a wonderful gift from Katy...lucky you to have a daughter, I ....so miss never having had one of my own.

Enjoyed your post!! Glad you had a good time and you took marvelous photos.

Winifred said...

I love your photos. That sounds like a really wonderful time.

Have to say, I've never seen The Wizard of Oz! I've seen excerpts but not the whole thing.

Brenda said...

Thanks for your comments everyone and your visits. Last year they got us tickets to see Wicked at the Fox and that was really special also!

Gramma Ann said...

Brenda,

Oh my! That sounds just wonderful. I love to listen to Symphony Orchestras. And to experience them live, is just about as good as it gets. What a wonderful present!

Brenda, I was just half finished with my post when you left your comment in my "Reading Corner" awhile ago. If it didn't completely make sense that would be why. ;)

Poetikat said...

Sounds like a wonderful time! Good thing it wasn't a stage production - who knows, maybe they would have sent live monkeys into the audience!

Love the Ruby slippers on the orchestra. It must have been great!

Lovely exterior photos too, Brenda.

Have a great New Year's Eve and much happiness in 2009.

Kat

Mary said...

wow...what a gorgeous place!

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever