Saturday, January 31, 2009

City Names



Why is St. Peters named St. Peters instead of St. Peter? My husband and I have had this conversation a few times when we drive through and see the street signs. We are all familiar with St. Peter, so who is St. Peters (no apostrophe). We live in St. Charles and know that this town is named after St. Charles Borromeo. Today while out running errands, we again wondered this pondering question. I made up my mind to google it and try to get an answer. I have not been able to find an answer to my question yet, but in the process of searching for it I stumbled upon oddly named cities in America. The list is very long, so I chose what I thought was the oddest of each state.

Aimwell, ALABAMA
Unalaska, ALASKA
Chloride, ARIZONA
Flippin, ARKANSAS
Frying Pan, CALIFORNIA
Hygiene, COLORADO
Giants Neck, CONNECTICUT
Cocked Hat, DELAWARE
Howey-in-the-Hills, FLORIDA
Between, GEORGIA
Papa, HAWAII
Hellhole, IDAHO
Roachtown, ILLINOIS
Toad Hop, INDIANA
What Cheer, IOWA
Buttermilk, KANSAS
Lick Fork, KENTUCKY
Waterproof, LOUISIANA
Beans Corner Bingo, MAINE
Assawoman Bay, MARYLAND
Mashpee, MASSACHUSETTS
Bad Axe, MICHIGAN
Embarass, MINNESOTA
Hot Coffee, MISSISSIPPI
Tightwad, MISSOURI
Square Butt, MONTANA
Colon, NEBRASKA
Weed Heights, NEVADA
Contoocook, NEW HAMPSHIRE
Love Ladies, NEW JERSEY
Elephant Butte, NEW MEXICO
Yaphank Yonkers, NEW YORK
Gum Neck, NORTH CAROLINA
Concrete, NORTH DAKOTA
Worstville, OHIO
Happy Land, OKLAHOMA
Idiotville, OREGON
Nanty Glo, PENNSYLVANIA
Quonochontaug, RHODE ISLAND
Round O, SOUTH CAROLINA
Peever, SOUTH DAKOTA
Bugscuffle, TENNESSEE
Who'd Thought It, TEXAS
Hardup, UTAH
Notown, VERMONT
Lick Skillet, VIRGINIA
Humptulips, WASHINGTON
Big Ugly, WEST VIRGINIA
Spread Eagle, WISCONSIN
Meeteetse, WYOMING

I am pretty sure that you have got to have a great sense of humor to live in these towns. There were so many to chose from, it really makes you wonder doesn't it? I am going to take a wild guess and say that the population of these towns is...... small. Trying to give directions or spell these to someone over the phone would be a hoot!

11 comments:

Winifred said...

Brenda these are so funny. I love Assawoman Bay and Idiotville. Brilliant!

We have a few strange ones near to where we live:
No Place, Pity Me, Sherrif Hill, Hanging Stone and Muggleswick.

I found some information which seems to indicate St Peters took its name from the first log church. Strange there was no apostrophe though if that was the case.
http://www.stpetersmo.net/default.asp?sectionID=42&groupID=48&showMenu=1

You might have started something here Brenda.

I love your header photos. Are they local ones?

Reader Wil said...

How came these names in use? I wouldn't like to live in Idiotville! We have a place called Haastrecht, which means Almostright.

Brenda said...

Winifred and Wil,
I really do wonder where they come up with these. Many that I saw were pretty obviously Indian names but, not so sure on the others.
Thanks Winifred for finding out about the log church and the naming of it. I had not gotten that far on my search, because I ran into other distractions. That story still does not explain why they named it St. Peters without the apostrophe. I will still try and figure it out.

Brenda said...

Oh I forgot to answer your question Winifred about the header photo. It is from a Quilt Show I went to last summer. We stayed in Gaylord Opryland Resort in Nashville, Tennessee. I took hundreds of pictures. The ones I have been using lately for my header are from there.

Katy said...

This is pretty funny. I have always wondered about St. Peters also. I just figured the apostophe got dropped somewhere along the way.

Sandy said...

I have never heard of Frying pan, California. I gotta look that up...

and my home state Kansas, never heard of BUttermilk.

fun facts, thanks. YOu always have interesting posts.

Rudee said...

What a great and original post Brenda. We like Hell here in Michigan too. It's a huge tourist attraction, but I've never been there literally... figuratively, well that's another story.

Brenda said...

Sandy,
Go Here for Frying Pan

http://californiamaps.org/place.php?county=Trinity&feature=Frying+Pan

Buttermilk, Kansas is easier to find.

Sandy said...

thanks I'll check it out! Hopefully it's close enough for me to visit some day.

Mary said...

These are funny! I didn't know about Toad Hop, Indiana....will have to look it up and visit :-) Thanks for visiting my blog...any friend of Sandy's, has to be a nice person to knkow :-) I've been to St. Charles, MO and know how interesting it is...and good quilt shops in the area! Our quilt guild did a bus trip over there last year.

Gramma Ann said...

I'm a little behind in my blogging and am trying to catch up. That is a funny interesting list of odd named towns. All through I live about 20 or 30 miles from What Cheer, Iowa. We have driven through it often. It is a small town but believe it or not it has an Opera House, which they still use. I don't know what shows they present in it. They also have a big week-end flea market a few times a year, but I've always been headed to something else and have never stopped and visited it. Maybe I should and maybe I could find some great finds like Sandy does at her Thrift stores. ;)

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever