Sunday, January 4, 2009

Lets Hope Tomorrow Is Better

I should not be whining, but I will anyway. I have had some bad luck befall me the past couple of days. We were invited to a party last night and Bob had made some little smokies simmered with barbecue sauce in the crock pot to take. I don't know why I thought I could put the crock pot on the floorboard and just steady it there with my feet until we got to the party. As an after thought, NOW, it does seem kinda stupid. We had just turned out of the subdivision when the entire pot fell over and on my foot. We got back home in time for me to put a cold rag on my foot, which I think helped with the swelling. I did manage to get 2 big blisters out of it though.
The day before that, I realized that the sock I was knitting was going to be big enough for a giant, so I managed to turn it into a small cap for a baby. In hindsight though I am trying to figure out how I did NOT know it was too big the whole time I was working on it. It seems that my "common sense", that I used to be so proud of having, has disappeared.
Today I started on a 7 day cleansing thingy I got from the health food store. No food, just juices and fruit smoothies and a bunch of pills that I am not even sure of what the heck they are. Again, where did my common sense go. My brain is not functioning very well lately. In the last few weeks, I have managed to shave off my eyebrows, turn a sock into a hat, and burn my foot with boiling barbecued weenies, and go on this starvation diet. If you don't hear from me for a while it means my luck has not changed, or I am wandering around somewhere in a low blood sugar brain fog with a hat/sock on a blistered foot, and no eyebrows. Yep that would me.

8 comments:

Gramma Ann said...

I guess like they use to say on the old "Hee Haw" show, "If you didn't have bad luck, you wouldn't have no luck at all!"

Sorry to hear about all your troubles. I hope that foot is feeling better and will heal quickly. This has not been a good winter for me this year. I have been in this funky mood for the last three weeks. I think when spring comes we will all function again. At least I'm hoping I will!

Ann

Rudee said...

OMG! I am sorry to be laughing, but I am. Ok. I'll try to be better with advice:

The key to healing a wound is to keep the wound bed moist. You need a wound care product called hydrogel. Call your local medical supply. Keep it moist and new cells will be able to migrate across the open wound. You may heal without a scar.

I will post a photo of the first pair of socks I knit. I kept them because they were first. They are the size of what I imagine Andre the Giant's feet were. Gauge, gauge, gauge. Stitches per inch X the diameter of your ankle in inches. If your ankle is 8 inches and you get 8 stitches to the inch on a swatch, cast on 64 stitches. If you get 4 stitches to the inch, cast on 32.

My diet trick is to be aware of every nibble I put in my mouth. Chew slowly. The very single instant I begin to feel full, I push the dish away. It is slow, but it works and seems better than swallowing pills and pooping your heart out.

Lastly, you may need to consider staying in forever or starting to use bubble wrap. Wrap yourself up before you go out. You aren't absent minded-just preoccupied.

Hugs Brenda. And thanks for the chuckle. I think putting yourself out there for all to see is priceless.

The Crusty Crone said...

bwah ha ha ha ha

"I am wandering around somewhere in a low blood sugar brain fog with a hat/sock on a blistered foot, and no eyebrows. Yep that would me."

oh dear. I'm sorry for laughing, especially about the BBQ sauce burn... but the sock-for-a-hat got me going. Yet what can one expect from someone without an eyebrow.

(I'm still chuckling.)

Brenda said...

Ann,
The winter blahs get to me also. Probably has something to do with my so called bad luck. Ha

Rudee,
Thanks for the tip on the hydrogel. I had never heard of it. I remember reading in Knitting Rules her simple explanation that you just gave on knitting socks. That is what amazes me, that I KNEW better. I was just using the wrong size needles. Another, What The Fog moment??!!
Bubble wrap sound like a good gift for myself today.

CC,
Don't feel bad about laughing. I was hoping it would get some chuckles. The foot is not that bad, but I was pretty irate when it happened, so I decided to change my mood and make fun of myself. It worked!

Betty Flocken said...

FIRST, I'm SO SORRY you've had such a bad week; SECOND... I'm laughing and I'm sorry for that too. Hope your foot feels better soon.

Sandy said...

Oh no! that burn must hurt, but you as usual managed to turn your problems into a funny post and I kind of giggled reading it although not because you got hurt. I sure hope you have a better day.

I had a day like that last week, and I was going to draw it out in cartoons but got bored with the idea, ha.

Reader Wil said...

One thing is certain: you can write a great post and it turns out to be a very funny story. I hope that your foot will heal soon. It can hurt terribly! Take care.

MYRA said...

I'm sitting here laughing, not really at you, but at the funny way it all comes across in your writing... 8-)
I can certainly relate too all this. Told my hubby today that he will have to think for both of us soon enough... 8-)

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever