Friday, January 9, 2009

My Life and Sports

These photos are from our World Series Parade in 1982.
I needed some photos to go with my story, and decided to use these.



First I will begin this story revealing to you that I come from a family with all brothers. Four to be exact, with me in the middle of them. The ages of us are, my oldest brother, 3 years older, second oldest, 18 months older,... me..., then one who is 3 years younger and one 11 years younger. The two older ones never let me play with them, that I remember, because I was a "girl". When the next one came after me, he played with me, somewhat, in that I got to boss him a little. The youngest was just too much of an age difference. The point of me telling you this, is that, they had their friends and I had mine. I didn't get to play baseball, etc. whatever they did, I wasn't included. Somewhere, on a rare day, I remember learning how to box with boxing gloves, frog arms, to see who would give first, and learned the meaning of "saying uncle". We just never grew up being very close, and still aren't really. My Dad was not much of a sports fan either except when he got much older, and then he preferred the Cubs. Don't ask me why, because I have no idea. I have a memory of going to one Cardinals game with my Uncle who was a HUGE fan. He had extra tickets to a game and my Mom, me and my cousin, (his daughter) went to the game. My Mom rarely got to get out and do anything "Fun". I remember her being so excited about getting to be at the game, she jumped up screaming at every hit, strike out, foul ball, whatever. She jumped up yelling and clapping, not even being aware of what team was up to bat, etc. (She was far worse than me) At least I kinda knew some of the basics. Finally my Uncle, who found all of this humorous, (or was incredibly embarrassed) started telling her when she was yelling and cheering for the opposing team. "Whoops!", she said. She settled down a little after that.
I never really paid all that much attention to sports until I married my husband, whom has been a fan since he was maybe 4 years old. I did watch the games in the late 70's and there after, but not with all that much knowledge of what was going on. I can tell you nothing about the rules or stats or who plays on the other teams. I only pay a small amount of attention, barely enough, to even have a conversation about it. The only reason I went to the 82 parade was because a friend of mine called me that morning and begged me to go with her and her son.



Our son is a very big fan of both baseball and hockey and has been ever since he was maybe 4 years old. That is a very nice bond he and my husband have. They rarely have a lack of conversation because of their sports interest.
I did try, however, to do the old "If you can't beat them ...join them" thing, in 2003. I started watching all the games and thought I was becoming a real fan. I did pretty good for about 3 years and found myself getting tooo upset when they didn't play well and just realized that I was NOT a sports fan. Real sports fans love their team no matter what and can't wait for the new season to start. This much I know from observing my husband and son.
I do however have one guy who does our announcing named Mike Shannon that is my idol. It is his Shannonisms that I adore. He is the real reason for this post. He makes up his own words and phrases and he is "famous" for it. He and I have that in common. I combine words pretty often, and say things that don't make sense. Believe it or not my husband actually can figure out what I am talking about. Having lived with me for nearly 32 years, I guess he finally accepts me for how I am.
I thought I would include some of Mike's "sayings" and hope you find them as humorous as I have.



About what elevated Whitey Herzog as a manager: ''The key thing is, he has that photogenic mind.''

Swing and a homerun, but it's foul"


(On Jose Oquendo buying a new house) ''He's going to make his winter home here year-round.''

(Coleman called out on strikes) ‘‘He knew he was out when he heard that right hand go up.''

"This crowd is on their feet for the Canadian Star Spangled Banner."

A couple years back, Mike and Joe were discussing the horrible photographs of players that had been flashed on the screen at another ballpark. Mike's take on the quality of photo selection was, "Some of those guys looked like the picture was taken while they were seeing their first UFO." After several seconds of laughter, Joe added, "As opposed to their second or third?"

"Well, that's the life of a reliever. It's either a mountain or a valley, there's no in-between. You either get all the glory or all the...goat hair.”

Broadcasting from New York under a full moon:
"I wish you folks back in St. Louis could see this moon."

Urging Scott Rolen to take a pitch on 3-0:
"You don't kick that dog as he's sleeping on the porch, you don't step on his tail, you just walk on by. If you step on his tail, he might jump up and bite you on the ankle or the kneecap."


Referring to a young fan who was hit with a foul ball:
"And that youngster will leave the stadium with a souvenir today. Not a ball, but a nice looking bruise."

Talking about a road game in Montreal:
"This game is moving along pretty quick, it must have something to do with the exchange rate."

Referring to the Busch Stadium organist:
"Ernie Hayes is up there playing with his organ.”


After a batter leading off the ninth inning with his team down by three took a mighty swing but missed:
"He was trying to hit a three run homer with the bases empty. To my knowledge, no one in the history of the game has ever done that. But it could happen someday. You never know in this world of baseball."


The TV lights were on in the press box and the umpire stopped the game until they were turned off:
“The reason you can’t do that is the light will get in the fielder’s eyes and they’ll get hit right between the coconuts.”

"It's raining so hard I thought it was going to stop."

"I wouldn't have seen it if I hadn't believed it."

"You know, these professional hitters make it look easy, sometimes they just stick the bat out and spank the baby!"


"We'd like to say hello to all those folks listening in Monkey's Eyebrow, Kentucky."

Joe Buck: "Mike, the Cardinals would like to welcome a group of 19 French foreign exchange students in Section 382."
Mike: "Where're they from, Joe?"
Joe: "Uhh, France, I think."

6 comments:

Gramma Ann said...

Brenda, I enjoyed your post today. The Mike quotations were strange yet funny! I am not much of a sports fan anymore either. When I was younger I could name all of the Pittsburgh Pirates, (baseball team) but, have no idea who they are now. My favorite sport is ice skating. ;)

Have a splendid week-end.

Ann

Rudee said...

"Ernie Hayes is up there playing with his organ.” Bwahahahahahahaha! I have a love-hate relationship with the Cards myself. Only cuz the stole from the tigers......

The Crusty Crone said...

hahahaha Those are great!

I'm guessing it takes a wide open mind to be able to come up with these sayings. They gotta get out somehow.

Reader Wil said...

What a great story about your mum being enthousiastic about a team she didn't really know and cheering happily when the other party scored!
I am worse: I don't know anything about sports. I like it though, when our skaters win. Skating is the only sport I watch on TV.
Thanks for your visit.

Renie Burghardt said...

Really funny sayings, Brenda. I showed it my to my son who is here this weekend and he got a kick out of those as well. I am not big on sports, but my friend Eileen is a big baseball fan, especially the Yankee's as she is from New York. She and Greg get into baseball discussions all the time.

Hope your weekend was great.

Hugs,

Renie

Sandy said...

hahaha, such an enjoyable post. I loved reading the sayings!! Wow, so you had four brothers!! And you survived, that's amazing.

Having raised four sons, I can't imagine if a daughter had been in the middle position of these guys.

I always wanted a daughter, darn it...

sure enjoyed the post.

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever