Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Shopping Days

photo from wiki commons

I was having a luncheon meeting at my house on Monday and went to get some ice out of the freezer and it wasn't frozen. I checked on the other items and none of the other frozen foods were frozen either. It didn't take long to figure out the freezer part of our side by side must be going out. We decided to go check out some new refrigerators because this one is 20 years old, and we didn't think it would be worth the cost of repairs. First I went to an outlet mall we have nearby. I got a real slap in the face walking through the mall because so many stores were closed or were almost closed. I hear on the news every day about how many stores are closing and companies laying off, so I don't know why I was so surprised. But I was. I was only there to look for refrigerators but decided to walk around for the exercise. Very few people seemed to be in a good mood. The other thing that surprised me was that I didn't see very many bargains. Even at the outlet store I couldn't find a decent refrigerator for under $900. Most were $1,000 to $2500. Why do they make so many fancy refrigerators??? It was really difficult to figure out what our basic needs were for a fridge and then try to find just that. A basic side by side. Today I had to go out some more and I think I found one for $$900 that we will have to settle on. Either that or try to repair this one and see if it makes it another year. So, I have decided I will have to give up buying any little extras, like yarn and fabric and books. I needed to do that anyway, so no big deal. I had hoped to start working on a quilt with these free days I just had instead of shopping for a new ice box. Que Sera sera......

6 comments:

Rudee said...

You could use my backyard as a freezer right now. We're in the middle of a heat wave and it's still only 30 degrees.

I hate the unexpected purchases too, but I guess it beats spoiled food or food poisoning.

Betty Flocken said...

Oh I'm sorry Brenda, I hate those kinds of purchases too. Paul works at Sports Chalet, which is doing o.k. but Mervyns and Circuit City (BIG STORES OUT HERE) have both closed at the center where his store is.. Building the infrastructure around our "New" town is all but stopped. Times are really rough right now.

Sandy said...

Ohhh..darn, I hate hearing about stores that are closing. We drove by my son's restaurant (not his but the one he worked at) and its so sad to see it closed. It only had its' grand opening a little over six months ago and it's a beautiful restaurant.

I detest having to buy things like refrigerators, those needed things, instead of fun frivolous things.

Sandy said...

by the way love the banner photo and that is a great shot of the mall. So clear and crisp and a good angle.

Waiting for you to photo your jewelry...

Winifred said...

I noticed that there weren't many bargains here after Christmas despite what we were hearing on TV about shops dropping their prices to survive.

I did get a good deal on a washer as mine was working OK but had started to drop rust on the clothes. Cheap materials I suspect.

I've been looking for a new fridge too because the shelves in the door have broken. I've just looked on the Internet and there were few that would fit and even fewer that are reduced.

My blender jug cracked yesterday and to buy a replacement will cost as much as buying a whole new blender.

It's so annoying when the things still work but are dropping to bits!

I saw a few shops had closed in a shopping centre near us and it's awful.

I love your header photos. Is it somewhere near you?

Brenda said...

The photo header was a freebie from wiki commons. I forgot what it is of? I plan on changing the header pretty often anyway. I just thought it had a pleasant look about it.

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever