Sunday, February 22, 2009

1900


This thimble is only ten years past the first one. The only difference I can see in the fashion is that the bust area seems to be droopier and the bustle seems more obvious. Very large hats were popular so I am not sure why Avon decided not to give this lady a large hat.










When I did some digging into how these clothes were made, I ran across this sewing machine as being the one used during that time. My Mom had one just like this and and it was the machine I learned how to sew on. It amazes me that they could sew these large dresses on this machine. I also wonder how many outfits most women owned. I am pretty sure there were catalogs they could order these from. I need to go do some digging through my piles of catalogs, because I used to collect old catalogs, and have a few replicas probably from this era.

7 comments:

Rudee said...

I love how fancy they were but I'm more than thankful for the ability to wear my scrubs to work. After kneeling in pee Friday night, I will not EVER wear street clothes to work again. Blech.

My southern grandmother had that exact sewing machine. Incidentally, she also quilted the old fashioned way. She had this huge contraption to hold the quilt up and routinely hosted quilting bees with the ladies from her church. I miss Flossy Constance. She was a lovely woman.

Winifred said...

Yes those large hats seemed popular.

My Nanna had a very similar machine, a Jones not a Singer. I learned to sew on that too. It was strange not making the treadle go with your feet when I got an electric one for my 21st birthday. Most people got gold watches but my present was much more useful. I still use it, it's 43 now. Worth it's weight in gold!

Poor Rudee, that must have been awful. It's one thing when your kiddoes do it but another when it's adults and strangers at that.

flydragon said...

My mom also had a treadle sewing machine which I used to play around with. She used to make a lot of our clothes, but no, they did not look like those pictures:)

Sandy said...

wow the machine looks familiar like somebody in my family had one like that. Your images are great and I love this one of the two women. Your thimbles are wonderful...

Patty said...

My Mother also had a machine like that, and that's how I also learned to sew. No wonder I never really liked to that much. LOL Now they are small, can set on a table top and do all sorts of things. I don't have one, but I got my Mom one about five years ago.

Gramma Ann said...

My Mom had a sewing machine like that and she made all our clothes and sewed for the neighbors, she used it all her life and wouldn't think of buying an electric one. She died in 1984 and she was still using that machine.

I enjoyed your stroll down the fashion lane of clothes. Thanks for sharing.

Gramma Ann said...

My Mom had a sewing machine like that and she made all our clothes and sewed for the neighbors, she used it all her life and wouldn't think of buying an electric one. She died in 1984 and she was still using that machine.

I enjoyed your stroll down the fashion lane of clothes. Thanks for sharing.

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever