Tuesday, February 24, 2009

1942


The forties and fifties are probably my favorite eras. I was born in 51 but the 40's would have been when my parents were young adults just starting out in the world with their own families. I like a lot of the music that was around then and I did love the clothes, hats and gloves they wore. I also loved the hairstyles. I really like the hairstyle on this thimble, and used to wear my hair that way kinda when I was in my early 20's.

My Mom in 1942.
My Mom and Dad in 1944.

4 comments:

Betty Flocken said...

This is a cool photo of your parents. Skirts got shorter during the (if I remember my mom's stories right...) because of the war. It saved on Material. My mom told us how women would draw the seam up their legs.. Nylons use to have that seam in the back... and Nylon was hard to come by in the 40's too. I Love these memories you're bringing back!

Winifred said...

Brenda these are wonderful photos. Betty's right it was the war that influenced the styles because of the fabric shortages. I don't think we had nylon here until after the war.

My mam told me about drawing the seam line up the backs of their legs too when they didn't have any stockings. It was hard to get them straight and even apparently!

Sandy said...

My dad would put on 40's music and after dinner, he would dance with my sis and I, we learned such an appreciation of the 40's....I still love it now.

Brenda said...

Ladies,
Do any of you remember leg paint in the 60's? It was supposed to be an alternative to hose or a suntan.

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever