Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Annual Wait

I had to stand in line for at least an hour today to get our license plates renewed. Stickers, I have mailed in, in the past, but Missouri has changed their license plates this year and so you have to go to the office to get them. A few people had to get out of the line, the lady in front of me said she felt sick, and the lady behind me forgot her insurance card. I, however came somewhat prepared. All my little goodies were in a folder. Both insurance cards, personal property receipt, emissions and safety inspections, and checkbook and drivers license and pen in hand...waiting and waiting and waiting. No one felt very chatty, so I let my mind wander. I was thinking about my Grandpa. I am pretty sure that he never had a drivers license, or not the kind where you had to take a test and then renew it. I think he just went and bought one. He was born in 1887 and died in 1979, so you would think that somewhere in those later years, he would have had to go pass some tests. I am not remembering that he did. He lived in a very small town, so maybe they didn't make much of it. The only place he drove to was to the store and over to nearby relatives. Aww....that makes me long for a few acres out in the country to retire on. Buy a riding lawn mower, maybe have a goat or two. Some chickens and maybe one cow. Grow fresh vegetables in the summer and have an apple tree. Rolling hills, a few shade trees to sit under. I'll build us a swing to sit under the shade tree. The grand kids can run around and play hide and seek, and skip rocks at the pond. We'll have window fans and a great big porch with rocking chairs. I can hear the crickets rubbing their little legs together now.
So anyway, I have been keeping myself very busy these past few days, and just thought I had better spend a small amount of time talking about the days of my life. Nothing real interesting.

14 comments:

Rudee said...

When do we move? It sounds so enticing.

Reader Wil said...

Yea, standing in line for a long time makes one philosophical. At least if the people are not feeling like having a chat. We had to wait in Hongkong for four hours for a seat in a plane, because many planes were stranded and flights cancelled, due to a typhoon. We were waiting together with a lot of English people and that's the best thing that could happen to us, for they were helpful and in for a chat. There was an atmosphere of fraternization. Still there were some people who tried to jump the queue, and then the English people were very angry and told them off.

Gramma Ann said...

I no longer have to get the licenses renewed. That is the husbands job, now that we are retired. I lived the life on the farm with the animals and such. I'm happily retired, living in my small apt. doing whatever I feel like. No early morning cow to milk or evening cow to milk. Really a farm keeps you very close to home, not much free time, always something to feed or milk. But if that is your dream, enjoy it.

MYRA said...

I'll move there too. Sounds lovely! 8-)
I had a quilting teacher that used to hand-piece while standing in lines... very dedicated to her craft! 8-)
So, does everyone go at the same time of the year to get their licenses renewed? Curious about the long lines?
Here we renew in accordance with our birthday. Everyone renews 4 months after their birthday, and have till the end of that month to renew... I've never had to wait longer than 2-3 people ahead of me.... curious...

The Crusty Crone said...

Remember, in the summertime, when kids would get up, eat breakfast and then go outside to play. They wouldn't be seen again until lunch time. Then they would have to be called in for dinner. Those were the days! And every kid knew every nook and cranny in the neighborhood. awwwww

Brenda said...

Rudee,
I could have added a few more daydreams..sad that it may never happen.

Wil,
That was an adventure! Reminded me of the last time I flew. Maybe I could tell that story someday. It is always better when you get to chat with folks. Doesn't make the time spent feel like you'd rather be doing something else.

Ann,
Never having had this experience, since I grew up on a nursery farm, my little fantasy sounds heavenly to me. Vacations would be difficult, unless you had reliable help.

Myra,
The plates and or stickers are due the month you purchase the car every year. Our cars are both due in the same month which is kinda nice, because I only have to do it once a year. The ordeal of doing this is a major pain in the butt! You have to get each car inspected and pray that it passes, both road safety and emissions for the air safety. Then you have to have your paid personal property tax receipt and proof of car insurance. It is not that hard to get in line only to realize you have forgotten something. I have no clue why these lines are so long but they always are!

CC,
I see you have the same memories I have of our youth. I need to do a post about this soon. I choose to remember the good times.

Sandy said...

Ohhhh I love your creation and I wanna sit right alongside of you and have a long island ice....ooops I mean a tea, with you...I always enjoy reading you, love it when you are chatty.

Patty said...

At the place we go to, you pull a number, and you can set until they call your number, sure saves standing. WE order ours through the mail, but our own driver's licenses have to be renewed in person. Your country living sounds sooo nice, and the grand kids would love it. Once they realized you can have fun without being plugged into an electrical gadget. LOL Have a great rest of the week.

flydragon said...

You've just reminded me that I have to renew my drivers license this summer. Such fun! Stand in line forever, then on top of that you have to have your picture taken while everyone stares at you. Finally get the new one and immediately stick it in your pocket cause we all know how they always turn out so ugly:)

Brenda said...

Sandy,
Aww...tea sounds great whatever kind..I'd love to chit chat with ya in the country!

Patty,
My thoughts exactly about the kids being plugged in to a gadget. Nature is so much more interesting!

Flydragon,
When I was standing in line I looked at my drivers license and it won't expire for another year. One year I let it expire and had to take all the tests over. I was so embarrassed, but thankful that I passed the damn thing!

GutsyWriter said...

It does sound romantic, as long as the weather is nice and sunny. I always bring a book when I have to wait, these days.

Renie Burghardt said...

Brenda,

Here in the boonies, I just walked in and walked out with my plates.

Nice memories of your grandfather.

Come on out here for the green hills and life with Nature. I used to have chickens and a goat, turkeys and even rabbits, but gave up on all stock animals a few years ago. Now it's just me, the dogs, cats, and all the wild neighbors that share my hundred acres. I love it, except when an ice storm hits!!!!

Hugs,

Renie

Betty Flocken said...

I love your retirement dream. Love the porch!

Winifred said...

It does sound nice there Brenda.

This is probably a stupid question but why do the licence plates need renewing if you haven't changed cars?

We have to buy a road tax disc and you can do this annually or quarterly. To do that you need insurance certificate, proof that you own the car with its registration documents and if the car is more than 3 years old, proof the car is roadworthy (MOT certificate). However there is nothing to do with the number plates. Maybe I've misunderstood this.

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever