Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Arch

photos property of Katy Hess

I am going to try to show pictures and tell a little something about the area that I live in, every once in awhile because I really enjoy seeing photos and stories about where you live. The most famous site we have is the St. Louis Arch. Jefferson National Expansion Memorial consists of the Gateway Arch, the Museum of Westward Expansion, and St. Louis' Old Courthouse. During a nation-wide competition in 1947-48, architect Eero Saarinen's inspired design for a 630-foot stainless steel arch was chosen as a perfect monument to the spirit of the western pioneers. Construction of the Arch began in 1963, and was completed on October 28, 1965, for a total cost of less than $15 million. The Arch has foundations sunk 60 feet into the ground, and is built to withstand earthquakes and high winds; it sways up to 1 inch in a 20 mph wind, and is built to sway up to 18 inches.



The picture below is of a tram that you have to get in to get to the top. It looks like a dryer to me with seats in it. I am very claustrophobic and I really didn't think I was going to be able to get in there. I shut my eyes and sorta held my breath the whole time, but I made it to the top. Once up there, it wasn't that bad, and I gained some confidence that I would make it back down. I seriously doubt I will ever go back up there though. Once was enough for me.

this photo from wikipedia

The structure itself is very beautiful. Lots of people have taken photos of it, but my daughter's pictures are hard to beat. She probably should try to become a professional photographer, in my humble opinion.




I wish we would take advantage of our tourist attractions more often, but the only time I went in the Arch was when some friends came into town to visit. Hopefully I will get out when the weather gets better and take some pictures and have some stories to tell about the area I call "Home".

8 comments:

Rudee said...

Katy is a great photographer! I never go to Detroit's tourist attractions either. I don't know why-just busy with life I guess. I've been a cancer center in St. Louis for business. That was an interesting job, cut short by 9/11.

Winifred said...

They are reall lovely pphotos Brenda. What a beautiful building.

It's funny but I have never visited the main attractions here either, not that there's much it's not a big town. One is the ancestral home of the Wessyngton family, George Washington's ancestors, yes THE George Washington! I've promised myself I will go this summer and I'll post the pictures.

Keep showing us yours and Katy's photos Brenda.

Gramma Ann said...

We visited St. Louis in the Spring of 2002. We parked our camper in the middle of St.Louis and took the bus and taxis everywhere. We toured the Arch. There were school children visiting the day we were there. One of the teachers and one of the young boys rode up with us. The little boy was scared so bad, he set next to me, so I said we are going to sing, so I started singing, "If You're Happy and You Know It...." encouraged him to join in and we sang all the way up and had a good time. On the ride back down, the teacher asked me if she and the young boy could ride down with us? Of course I said yes, and we had a good time going down together. I told him I was so proud of him and he could tell his mommy how brave he was and what a good time we had. He was all smiles, and gave me a big hug before we parted. All the teacher could do was say, thank you, thank you. It made my day and a wonderful memory.

I love your daughters photos, and I agree, she is very good with a camera.

Sandy said...

Beautiful photos Brenda... I loved reading about this and aren't you near the New Madrid, so good thing about it being built for earthquakes.

enjoyed the post.

Reader Wil said...

Brenda, could you see something when you were at the top? It's a beautiful construction, very simple but perfectly shaped.

MYRA said...

Great photos Brenda! Katy done good! 8-)

Brenda said...

Rudee,
I think St. Louis does have some great health care facilities. Maybe you all could move here. Then you could talk like me. Ha...I really don't have an accent, at least not like my Dad had.

Winifred,
Hope you get to go to George's ancestor's home, and take some photos.

Ann,
Neat story! Where were you when I needed a friend getting up there?? Lucky little boy. He will probably always remember that day and the nice lady that he rode on the tram with.

Sandy,
Ha..As soon as I cut and pasted the info about the arch and saw about it being earthquake proof, etc. I kinda figured someone would catch that. When I read it, I thought yeah right...I can't imagine what is earthquake proof? So anyway, yes indeed we do live on the New Madrid fault and we have some emergency boxes ready for it. We live on the edge here, because they say it is just a matter of time before it happens. NOT looking forward to that day!

Wil,
I should have shown a picture of what you can see up there. I forgot, but yes you can see a lot. Since I was pretty scared, I don't remember much.

Thanks for your visits!

Poetikat said...

Oh I love that shot with the reflection in the windows. Thanks for opening up your world so we can see where you live. I might do the same sometime.

Kat

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever