Sunday, March 8, 2009

Too Busy To Blog


I just realized how busy I have been lately and haven't been able to get any "blog time". We do a fair amount of fund raisers through our church. We have a Teen Dance that we work at once a month all year, and now the Fish Fries. I show up around 2:30 on Fridays to help with the desserts and try to stay for some of the clean up. Then we have a load or two of greasy stinky towels to wash. Thank goodness for Borax.
The picture above is our desserts this past Friday. We have gone back and forth with weather or not to serve homemade desserts. Some years we have and some not. With the economy the way it has been we weren't sure if we would have that many people wanting to pay for the fish dinners, when you can go to McDonald's and get a fish meal for $4 or $5. We decided homemade desserts would be a plus. They were! We have had some nice crowds.
There are so many more charities that need donations right now with so many out of work people. Our funds may start to dwindle quickly.
We are trying to figure out ways for some of the younger women to get involved in charitable work, by making our meetings and activities fun. That is a challenge. So many young women have so much on their plate already, with young children and homes to take care of and after school events. I am afraid it will be tough to recruit some. We'll see.
So this is where a lot of my time has been spent lately. I will get to spend the next two days with Maddie.
I have had an odd thing happen the past 2 days. I have been sneezing like a maniac. Allergies! I usually don't get them. I don't know know why I am this year. We hardly have anything out in bloom yet. Only tiny buds on some trees, so far.
Have a great week!

11 comments:

Rudee said...

Maybe you could recruit some teens to watch the youngsters while their moms become involved. You may need to offer solutions to their childcare problems and by doing so, you make the work attractive.

Reader Wil said...

I hope your allergy is over now. Do you know what caused it? You have been busy by the looks of it! Thanks for your visit. You said something about the dilletree. Well Some-one told me it was dille, but now I am not sure, for you're right the plant is usually smaller.

Renie Burghardt said...

Hi Brenda,

Those deserts look good! Desert will always get them in.

You have been busy. So have I. Have a great Monday. Being with Maddie will be a pleasure, I'm sure.

Hugs,

Renie

MYRA said...

I love being involved in our church events... I became involved when our children were about 9-10, when they could be of some small help that kept them out of the way of most of the hub in the kitchen... They enjoyed it too, but then, it depends who is in the kitchen that day... 8-)

Brenda said...

Rudee,
Surprisingly it is not the Moms with toddlers or babies as much as the school age ones, with all the hockey, soccer, etc. etc. I remember those days. Never a spare Moment. Very few women are willing to give up time to do these fund raisers, unless we can come up with something really fun that they don't want to miss out on. We are trying to plan a "project runway" that should be fun. Hopefully word will get out that we are having some fun while we work our tails off to raise money. We will see. Most women that are currently working at these events are 70 plus. I am one of the young ones...but don't feel it. We have some ladies that are 85.

Wil,
I have no clue about the allergies. It is a mystery to me because I don't usually get them I am allergic to dust and grass clippings or dry grass. I will have to look up the dilletree.

Renie,
I would imagine you are still doing a lot of clean up at your place. That must be tiresome. Hope you have some help!

Myra,
It is amazing how some kids want to help at that age. All you have to do is ask. When they get to be teens, it is hard.

Winifred said...

Those sweets look delicious. Glad I'm not there to sample them. I'd have to have one of each.

You have been busy but all in a good cause. That's a great idea of Rudee's I'd have loved this when I had my kiddies.

Have a lovely time wth Maddie. Won't be long before you're baking with her.

Betty Flocken said...

I've missed you! Rudee has a good idea; especially if your local high school requires community service hours to graduate! My kids' needed forty hours. I guess you don't have "a Life of Leisure!" do you! :) Loved those desserts!

Patty said...

Sounds like you're busy, busy, busy. As for allergies, I have found mine will sometimes act up the most when there is very little out to set them off. I was almost 50 before I was ever checked for allergies. Allergist said he was surprised I hadn't come in sooner, I told him I just finally got insurance that would cover the testing. I was allergic to almost everything in the air, inside or out. I started out taking three shots, once a week. One was for a mixture of weeds and grass, one for trees and pollen, one for molds and dust. I did finally stop them on my own, I figured I was as good as I was going to get.

Gramma Ann said...

Oh! those desserts look to yummy. I have a sweet tooth and always go for the desserts first. I hope your allergies or whatever clears up for you soon. I have had a cold for 3 weeks, it just hangs on and on. It is much better now, but, I thought it was never going to go away. Enjoy your day with Maddie.

Sandy said...

Wow, you have been busy. I didn't realize how much time you must donate to charity work. That's cool! I am just starting to make a few blog rounds but won't catch up until I get home.

Reader Wil said...

Thank you for your visit again! How are you doing now? Is your allergy over?

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever