Tuesday, April 7, 2009

BBBLLEEEAAAATTTTTT ...bahhhh....Maaaaa......


The blog post title today is what I discovered doing a small amount of research on the internet about "what sounds goats and sheep make". When I went to the Scottish Festival these poor little animals were pinned up in this small cage so that we lookers could gawk at them. The weather that day was very pleasant but I hope they got out of the pen now and then. I am not sure why I feel uneasy about animals being on display, like at fairs and zoos. On the one hand, it is the only way most of us could get a good look and learn about them. But on the other hand it seems so unnatural. As I was standing there watching them, I noticed the sounds they made were not what I thought they would be. Whenever I read a book to our grand baby and there is a picture of an animal, I attempt to make a sound that the animal makes. For sheep and goats I always say bahhh. But after researching it I found they have a few different sounds depending on the different breed. One thing I read was from someone who owned a few different types of goats and sheep and said they all had a different voice sort of like humans. She said that some make a sound just like her small children or babies. Speaking of sounds animals make, I was surprised at myself that I don't know what sound a zebra makes, or a bison, or deer. Lots of animals I may look up to see what sounds they make.



Here was a sign that said to keep other animals away from the cage. I know that the purpose of the sign was to ask people with dogs to not let them get too close and then provoke any animals getting upset, but it made me wonder when they are on a farm would the dogs and cats and farm animals get in fights? Just curious because I have never lived on a farm with animals.


Here is a Tunis lamb. I could never get a good picture of her. So many people wanted to pet her, it was hard to get a picture of just her.

This is a lady who was doing spinning. I talked to her briefly to ask her mainly if she ever has to change feet and give her right one a rest. She said that after demonstrating at the fairs for 8 hours, her hip starts to hurt. She said that she was thinking of investing in a spinning wheel that has two pedals so that she could switch off.


She took the piles of sheared wool and threaded it through the spinner and pulled it back as the threads spun around on the bobbin, if that is what they call it. I am going to guess that the sheared wool is not washed. It didn't look like it was. This is all new to me, and now I wished I had asked her a few more questions.

I took a lot of pictures so when I have time I will have lots to things to blog about. My car is in the shop today, so I will be doing things that need to be done around the house or sitting in front of this computer. Have a great day!

9 comments:

Sandy said...

You have a curious mind, just like me. I will all of a sudden be curious about something and then start researching it. My bookmarks folder is unbelievable.... I sure enjoyed these and very interesting about the different sounds. I too, have no idea what a zebra sounds like and I love them!

Rudee said...

Learning to spin is on my to-do list. I'll take classes right down the street. I'm trolling Craigslist for a spinning wheel. So much new I can do now!

Usually, the wool is washed and carded before spinning. Can't say what she was working with.

I'm with you on the caged animals-I feel the sorriest for birds in captivity.

Rudee said...

I just love immediate comments!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm going to email you a youtube link you may not have seen. I think Maddie will love it, and if she doesn't, you will.

MYRA said...

Wow! Lots to spin on those there sheep! They need a shearing! 8-)

There is a blogger, young gal in South Africa, that bought herself a spinning wheel lately and is spinning and doing dye jobs to wool... busy bee...

Great photos Brenda!
Thanks for sharing.

Betty Flocken said...

This is so cool. I love your photos too. Sounds like a fascinating time you had

Loz and Dinny said...

know what you mean about not knowing what sounds some animals make - whenever we get to a giraffe in a story we always go 'hello there, I have no idea what sound I make, my friend' ... aah yes - parent gags ... so lame and yet so funny! ps - is your banner the view from your house????? beautiful!

Renie Burghardt said...

Hi Brenda,

I'm with you about animals caged so we, humans can gawk at them. I especially dislike circuses.

I think they didn't want strange dogs coming close because it would scare the animals. On a farm, where they live together, dogs and goats and sheep, get along just fine. I had a goat that thought he was a dog!

As for sounds animals make, well, deer don't bleet or bah or anything. But they do snort, when they are mad. I've never heard them make any other sounds, and they are always around here. The other morning, I woke up at 2 AM for a visit to the loo, and looked out the window before going back to bed. And there were several deer laying in the grass, right by the house.

Hope you're doing great!

Hugs,

Renie

Gramma Ann said...

What a fun time you had at the Main St. Festival. So many interesting things to share. I like looking at animals but I don't care for them caged up.

Reader Wil said...

Brenda that's interesting! To hear sheep is often very strange. They sound like old people sometimes.LOL
Thanks for your visit! Have a great day!

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever