Monday, April 6, 2009

The Police Horse

Saturday when we went to Main Street, I had just left Picassa's Coffee Shop where we parked and ventured out to see what the Scottish Festival was all about. This police horse was tied to the post and her owner, a police officer was standing there enjoying a cup of coffee. I asked him if he knew when the parade was going to start and he told me it was already over. I asked him if he minded if I took a picture of his horse. This started a conversation about his horse. He told me she was 23 years old and meant the world to him. He bought her when she was young and she had been his partner for many years. He said she had seen him through some pretty tough nights down on Main Street where a lot of bars are. She helped him get though some bar fights and kept him in check when he needed it, he said. We had a general conversation about animals and how they have a sense about them. They know things and sense danger and have a way of communicating with us if we let them. He told me he had just had to put his dog to sleep, and it just about killed him. He also told me that the average life for horses was 25 and she was 23. She looked like she was in excellent health. Her hoofs were shiny and her coat shiny. I wished I had asked him her name but didn't. Since she was shiny, I will call her Shiny. I wasn't aware of how police horses were cared for. He told me that each officer that uses a horse for their duty can buy their own, as he did, and that way they have a strong bond with them. The Police Department has a place that they are kept and cared for and trained. We started getting interrupted by people needing to ask him questions, so I thanked him for sharing his story about his horse and went on my way. She was a beauty, whatever her name was. Maybe I will run into him again someday and ask him her name.

11 comments:

Poetikat said...

What a gorgeous horse! I'm so glad you took that photo Brenda; it's a great shot!
Too bad you didn't get the horse's name. I hope you do run into them again.

Kat

Gramma Ann said...

What a beauty of a horse. And Brenda, that was a lovely story. It was so nice of him to take the time out of his busy day to talk and tell you so much history about him and his horse. The story about his dog was just to sad, but the day comes when most of us have to say good-bye to a pet. And it is a very sad day!

Rudee said...

What a great story, and Shiny is indeed a beautiful horse.

Rudee said...

By the way, I am enjoying the instant comment publishing. Thank you...

Betty Flocken said...

What a great story! Thanks for sharing that with us. Shiny is a beautiful horse. I hope she lives beyond a horse's life span. I like the view of your town behind her.

Patty said...

She is a beautiful looking horse. I wonder, do they ahve to carry a pooper scooper with them to clean up after them? I know we're suppose to when walking our dogs. Just curious..

Brenda said...

Kat,
I know. I wish I had asked her name. And I wish I had got her hoofs or feet in the picture.

Ann,
Yes, fortunately he wasn't all that busy when I first approached him. You don't run into those opportunities all that often, or at least I don't.

Rudee,
I don't know why I didn't know to change that setting before. It is better. I think I do still have word verification though. May change that also.

Betty,
Thanks for noticing the background. If you ever make it to St Louis or St. Charles area you have to visit Main St. Unless our economy wipes them out. Sad to say it could happen.

Patty,
They have carriage rides on Main Street and I have seen them with buckets and scoopers and also diaper type things, if I remember right. But now that I think of it, I didn't notice anything on this horse. That would have been a good question for the officer.

Sandy said...

Oh I love the horse, she is so darn pretty. Glad you had a chance to talk with him about her and although I like the name you gave her it would be interesting to know her name. Hope you see her again.

Winifred said...

What a lovely posting. That horse is beautiful I bet the police officer is dreading having to trade her in! Did he say what happens when they retire? Maybe he just gets to keep her as a pet.

There is a lovely web page on the City of London's Police Force which belongs to Finn. Finn is one of their 10 horses and he writes about his life. It's lovely.
http://www.cityoflondon.police.uk/CityPolice/youngpeoplezone/finn/biography.htm

Maybe that police officer's horse could do a blog for you if you see him again.

MYRA said...

Lovely horse!
My hubby's old partner rides the police horses during the special summer activities... She loves it!

Renie Burghardt said...

What a beautiful horse! And I like the name you gave him. Shiny seems perfect. I hope Shiny lives many more years, as horses often live to be older than 25. I really enjoyed reading about the police horse, Brenda.

Hugs,

Renie

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever