Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Tales From The Trip


Today I thought I would just tell a little story about my trip to the Paducah Quilt Show each year. We usually leave the house around 8 or 9 in the morning and drive for about 1 1/2 hours until we get to Mt. Vernon, Missouri. Here we eat at Cracker Barrel. Most of the time I get the Pecan Pancakes, because they remind me of the way that my Mom used to make pancakes. I think they are fried in a skillet, maybe cast iron. That was her way of making them and that is how they taste at Cracker Barrel. My Mom did not put pecans in hers though. For some reason my Mom always served white Karo syrup when she made pancakes and she heated up the syrup. Funny how we have memories of things like that. I love Cracker Barrel. I love the store and the large fireplace and the food. Oh yes and the rocking chairs out front.




Then after another hour or so on the road we come to an area where I love to look at this home. They have horses and the land just looks so well kept, and it appears to be a large amount of land that the owners have. I doubt I would want to live so close to the Highway if it were me, but still I always admire it as we drive by.



This picture is not all that good at what I am going to talk about next, but it will have to do. I was not ready to view the devastating damage that the ice storm had left behind, while on our drive. The closer we got to Paducah, an area that was hard hit by the ice storm of 2009, a great sadness came over me, as I viewed all of the broken trees. I think I had forgotten about it because I was just excited to get to go to the quilt show. Wow! The damage was just hard to view. It will take a very long time for all of this to get cleared out and cleaned up. I kept thinking I should take more pictures, but pictures are hard to take when you are driving on the highway. I also was just sitting there stunned at what I was seeing. One would not think that broken trees would make a person so sad, but it did.


Finally we get to the show! This was the first thing I saw when I was entering the building. Quilt Man!!!

I do not know the story about him, although I am sure there is one.
I heard the ladies say "Oh there is Quilt Man!"
Then I quickly had to snap a shot of him and hurry inside to use the Ladies Room.
A weak bladder can not wait for the story about Quilt Man.
I never saw him again after this, or heard about him.
Some dude trying to steal some limelight, I guess.


I don't know how this was done.
If I weren't so lazy I would at least look it up, but maybe later.


No this was not the back side of the first one. Ha Ha



Bob took this picture out the window as we were coming back and the sun was starting to set.


I found out how hard it was to capture a sunset picture.
I took many but few turned out.

8 comments:

Rudee said...

Wow. Your pictures are wonderful. I love the backside of the elephant. The loss of trees is sad, but Mother Nature has her own way of taking care of business. Sometimes I think the more we interfere by putting roads, homes, towns and the like into place, the harder Mother Nature fights back.

Patty said...

You've got some nice photos. Cracker Barrel is always a good place to eat, I don't think I've ever gotten anything there I didn't like. Love their fried apples.

Perhaps they hired quilt man to make a few spins around the building. LOL He's looking good in all of his colorful mask and make up along with the quilt.

Sunsets are hard to capture, and how our one daughter captures them, I have no idea. Her blog is at http://photographyfordummies.blogspot.com/
I believe you will find some in older post.

Looks like you ahd a great time.

Poetikat said...

Well, I never thought I would see someone called "Quilt Man". Thanks for that experience.
I liked those elephant quilts(?)

Kat

Gramma Ann said...

I love your pictures, they are great.

It was an interesting account of your trip to the quilt show. I also like "Cracker Barrel" we usually eat at one when we visit the family.

The Quilt Man is a hoot! I loved the quilts, so much talent at work.

My favorite pictures are sunset or sunrise pictures. And yes they are difficult to capture, they last such a short time and you have to be at the right place at the right time. I love your sunset pictures they are beautiful.

Renie Burghardt said...

Great pictures, Brenda. I don't believe we have a Cracker Barrel in Poplar Bluff, which would be the closest larger town to me. They do have a Perkins though. Is the Cracker Barrel sort of like a Perkins?

I'm like you about the injured trees. We have a lot of them here. It makes me tear up when I look at some of them, few limbs left, yet they're greening up, clinging to life. Just so sad, but Rudee is right. Mother Nature will have her way in the end.

Your trip sounds like so much fun though, and I know you enjoyed it.

Hugs,

Renie

cat's momma said...

Wow, the elephant quilts are amazing and so is that one of a cat in the group of pictures below.

I also enjoyed the journey as you shot some beautiful photos on your way.

Sandy said...

Really enjoyed reading about your trip and sorry to hear about all that devastation. Never eaten at a Cracker Barrel, will have to think about that...

Enjoyed seeing the quilts too..

Reader Wil said...

Thanks Brenda for the trip! And the pancakes! I love those quilts; they are real masterpieces, I think. The trees, however, made me sad. I saw the same kind of destruction in Australia after the cyclone Larry.

Thank you for your comment on my blog about the tragedy yesterday. The driver who caused the accident died. He was a lonely, very quiet man of 37 and didn't mix with other people. Who knows how desperate he must have felt.

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever