Monday, May 18, 2009

Norway National Day


May 17th was Norway's National Day of Independence. I really did not know this but discovered it on Reader Wil's blog. It reminded me of this doll outfit I made a few years ago. I used to make International Doll clothes and sell them on EBay. The hardest part of making this outfit was the beaded plastron. It was a struggle to get the beads to stay tight enough to look nice and even. I really enjoyed making these outfits and have thought if I ever get my sewing room back in shape I may want to make a few more. I have a few dolls left over and will probably give those to our grand daughter. I am lucky in that she really seems to love dolls so far. I was hoping she would because I have quite a few and also those doll houses I have hung on to just in case she might like them.



I was a little surprised when I researched on the Internet about the Norway Independence Day and saw a picture of a lady wearing this outfit in a parade.



Here is another picture of the columbine flower I keep talking about. Ours are all white and that makes it really hard to get a good picture of. I put this one next to the black piano. This may the last one that will bloom. Now I will have to wait until next year. I hope to buy some more and plant them for next spring.

13 comments:

Rudee said...

Your doll is very pretty. I don't think the had any parades here to mark National Norway Day, but maybe I'll knit a few rounds of lace in salute.

Winifred said...

I'd never heard of that before. I hadn't realised Norway wasn't an independent country earlier. It certainly is a beautiful one.

Reader Wil said...

Great!! The doll's dress is wonderful and it looks like a Hardanger dress! I hope the Norwegians find your blog!

Renie Burghardt said...

The doll looks adorable in the beautiful outfit. You are so talented, Brenda.

Have a great Tuesday!

Hugs,

Renie

Betty Flocken said...

I love that doll! I didn't know you use to make dolls for e-bay? How did that do? Love the flower; good idea to put it in front of the black piano

Gramma Ann said...

Oh the doll is so cute. You are so talented, and always surprising us with something new. And the flower is beautiful. I have said it before, I do not have a green thumb, but I love flowers.

Reader Wil said...

Thanks for your visit. Yes there is a book, written by my daughter in Roy's own words. It only needs to be pyblished, which will happen this year.

Brenda said...

Rudee,
I think when I used to sell these on ebay, I had more buyers from your area, but I am not sure. Are there Norwegian communities in Michigan? I have no way of going back to find this out when I used to sell. I lost contact with my old selling account and email addresses so I can't remember. I just remember a few ladies telling me there were festivals there that I could sell these at and they would be a big hit.

Winifred,
I had not known they weren't independent either. It does look like a beautiful beautiful place.

Wil,
Yes, it is a Hardanger dress. It was fun to do.

Renie,
Hope you are doing well.
Hugs to you also!

Betty,
I did ok with it....no real money profit to speak of. I just enjoyed it. I stopped doing it because I got busy with other things and since it was not a big money maker it had to be put aside.
I love that columbine, but it was a devil to capture a decent picture of. I still don't have one I really like.

Ann,
The flowers that I have shown come back on their own. I have just about given up on growing annuals because the rabbits and squirrels eat them. What a waste of time and money. I tried throwing them out some carrots and stuff. They like the flowers.

Wil,
Thanks...I really enjoyed seeing and hearing the story.

Sandy said...

I LOVE columbine and never knew such a plant existed until my son's wedding at the house in 2005 and the future in laws planted some in the yard because we were prepping everything an adding new plants. and I love love the white ones.

Oh yes, i see the woman in the parade. What a cute outfit you made..you are very talented. Hope you get back to doing things like that more..

Patty said...

Beautiful white flower. I also want to thank you for your visits and comments. Week end is just around the corner, have a great one.

The Crusty Crone said...

What an adorable doll... her outfit looks absolutely perfect! Enjoyed learning about Norway, too. Thx for sharing it.

Poetikat said...

Wow! You are seriously skilled. I did NOT know you had such talents. Amazing and beautiful!
I think I saw something about this on a Michael Palin program. Is there a big loaf of bread involved?

Kat

Snowbrush said...

Well, I had no idea that Norway had a day of independence. Thanks for educating me a tad more.

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever