Thursday, June 11, 2009

Mysteries....Guilty or Innocent

A few weeks ago when I went to our annual Library Book Fair, I picked up a few VHS movies for little or nothing and one of them was "The Fugitive" with Harrison Ford. Hard to believe that this movie came out in 1993. It doesn't seem that long ago. I watched it last night as I knitted. I usually don't like remakes of any shows and I loved the TV series with David Jansen, so when this movie first came out I hesitated somewhat about watching it. I finally gave in though and was so glad that I did. I think they did an excellent job with this movie. They did change so much of the original story and I liked that they did that. This is one of those movies I could watch many times and not get tired of it.


David Jansen always seemed like a soft spoken man, similar to Harrison Ford. Both were tough guys when they needed to be, but gentle at the same time. I would love to be able to see these old shows again. I haven't seen them since they went off the air in 1967.




Right after my husband and I got married in 1977 we watched a made-for-TV movie called "Guilty or Innocent" starring George Peppard. I became obsessed with this movie and story about Dr. Sam Sheppard. I spent a lot of time at the library looking at old newspaper microfilm about the case. Thinking back on it, I am not so sure why I was so fascinated with this. The only thing that I can think of is that this particular movie was much more about the real story of Dr. Sam Sheppard, unlike the other two with Harrison Ford and David Jansen. It grabbed my attention because I felt like he really was innocent and was treated very unfairly. Can you imagine being convicted of such a horrible crime and having to go to jail for 10 years for something you didn't do. The few times I have been selected for jury duty, I have always tried to stick with the facts of the case. I have only had to serve on lawsuit cases, thank goodness. I would imagine it would be really hard to serve on murder and other cases. But after all of my digging into the newspaper microfilm, it just seemed like this man was not given a fair trial. The media had a field day with him.

Here is Dr. Sheppard. The murder happened on my birthday in 1954. I was only 3 years old. This is one of those mysteries to me that I wish could have been solved. Something like the JFK assassination. I have seen so many different shows that try to prove that he was killed by Oswald and only Oswald. I am still not convinced myself.

4 comments:

Patty said...

Makes you wonder, if it had happened in this day and age, with all the forensic testing they can do, what it would have showed. And I wonder, is it possible to still do some testing on items they have?

1954, I was 17. I remember it well. I always thought he was innocent also. Now OJ on the other hand, I always felt like he was guilty. I'm not so sure about Robert Blake, sure makes you think he might have gotten away with murder. But apparently his wife at the time had a lot of enemies. So who knows.

I read a lot of true life murder stories, I especially like the ones by Anne Rule. She's written a lot of paperbacks. I'm always amazed as to why they do it and why they think they will get away with it.

Jo said...

I had a huge crush on David Jansen. And the remake of "The Fugitive" was very good, wasn't it?

I have always thought Sam Sheppard was innocent too. And I thought OJ was innocent at first as well, believe it or not, but now I think otherwise.

I believe JFK was killed by the mob. It was a "hit" because the mob helped get him elected, and then his brother Bobby went after them. Never mess with the mob.

Good post!

Rudee said...

I don't know about Dr. Shepherd but I do know a bit about love. I love Harrison Ford, but not as much as I love Tommy Lee Jones. I know he's rather rugged looking, but he can park his cowboy boots under my bed any day. Just sayin.

Maybe I should go watch No Country For Old Men. Again.

Brenda said...

Patty,
That is interesting that you were at an age to remember the Sheppard case so well. OJ's case was similar in that the media really messed up the case, I thought. I forgot about Robert Blake. I felt bad for him because I thought he had some mental issues. Just remembering when he went on all those late night talk shows and just seemed bizarre.

Jo,
I loved David Jansen also. I thought OJ was innocent at first too. I just don't know why the whole thing was allowed to be on TV?!?!? Just did not think that was a wise choice. How could anyone get a fair trial that way? I still watched though right along with everyone else.
I think JFK was a mob hit also, and I also think the government was involved somehow.

Rudee,
Those two are my favs also. I really wish Harrison Ford would have been in Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code. Even Tommy Lee Jones would have been better than Tom Hanks, and I love Tom Hanks.

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever