Sunday, June 21, 2009

Sunday Reflections


That mystic light-
it comes from
the wild sea
that washes the
Irish coasts;

from the heather
that covers its hills;

from the moaning winds
that crowd its woods;

from the woods themselves
with their silent life
and mystic gloom;

from the open meadows
and the summer night;

from out of the scenery
and association and life
that becomes a part
of the Irish character,

there comes
that strange yearning,

that great desire,
that unwillingness
to be part
of the commonplace,

that restlessness,
energy and fire,
which as a dissolvent
set here in America life

makes crass materialism
impossible

and sets across
the face of our land

a rainbow
of light and hope

which in color,
form and setting

takes from the earth
its fascination

and tells us
of the better things

and
the brighter land.


Archbishop John Glennon

7 comments:

Gramma Ann said...

What a lovely poem to start my day..Thanks for sharing.

Rudee said...

Such beautiful poetry.

Renie Burghardt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Renie Burghardt said...

I messed up my first comment, so trying again. Sorry, Brenda.

The Archbishop's words are beautiful! And I hope your Sunday was nice.

Hugs,

Renie

Jo said...

What a gorgeous photograph and poem too. As soon as I clicked on it, I knew it was Ireland. There's no place like it, is there? I have a friend who is visiting from Ireland right now, and I love her Irish brogue.

Have a great day!

Brenda said...

Thanks for your comments ladies. My husband ran across this in a book and said it sounded like "me". I agreed. I have Irish and Scottish in me, and someday hope to visit these 2 countries.

Myra said...

Wonderful poetry and awesome photo! 8-)

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever