Sunday, July 26, 2009

A Day At City Garden




We have a new development in our city called City Garden. Bob and I and Katy and Maddie took a drive there the other day to see what it was all about. My blog has become my journal and scrapbook of my weekly activities, so I hope I don't bore any of my friends and visitors of my blog with too many photos. This post may have a few too many so I apologize ahead of time. I liked the photo above because of the reflection of the arch in the building.


The City Garden has several sculptures. These circles were pretty interesting, but I actually just liked the way this photo turned out with the angles of the large white buildings in the background.



I also liked the stone wall they put in surrounding the gardens.

A few young people having some fun on the circles.




It was a hot day so there were lots of young people cooling off in the fountains.

This head sculpture ....I don't know what to say about it. To me it was too weird. There are some forms of art that I just don't get.....





A naked woman....."Help,I've fallen and I can't get up".....?????????????



Pinocchio

A bird with strange shoes...........



Liked the reflection in this building.




Don't know what the pointy thing is in this photo, but I do love architecture with interesting shapes and I liked the way this photo turned out.



The red building is The Wainwright Building. It is a beautiful building with an interesting story. Click on the link to read about it.

I liked the stone wall with the waterfall.







Bob was trying to show Maddie how to make a wish and throw a penny in the water. This park is brand new and I don't know if the sculptures are on loan and they are going to have traveling sculptures or what the plan is. It reminded me a little of Millennium Park in Chicago. Not quite that large though, but I thought the atmosphere was very pleasant.

Aside from this day trip into the city, I finished the prayer shawl I had been working on and don't have photos of it yet. Maybe this week sometime, I can get one together. I have started 2 other knitting projects. One is a blocked baby blanket and the other a knitted rag that you put around a swifter broom, made with cotton yarn. I hope the rag turns out, and works well, because the yarn to make it is only a little over a dollar and the sheets for the swifter are getting a little expensive. Plus I like working with the cotton yarn.

9 comments:

Rudee said...

I loved all of the photos, but most especially, the Wainwright building and the lost head. It would be hysterical if there were a statue to match that was a headless body.

Maddie is so cute.

Can't wait to see your shawl. I don't care too much for knitting with cotton-it's so hard on the hands for such a tight knitter like me. Be that as it may, I bought 8 skeins of cotton last week ($1 a skein). I'm going to make washcloths for my brothers for Christmas in U of Michigan's school colors. I'm so boring...

Renie Burghardt said...

Hi Brenda,

Oh, your pictures are fantastic!
It's beem eons since I have been to a large city, except for seeing the outskirts of Memphis a couple of months ago. We did go to the big city (haha) of Popular Bluff (50 miles from us. Eileen calls it that) yesterday for lunch and shopping at JC Penney's and Walmart. We enjoyed it. Hey, if your swiffer replacement works, maybe you can go into business to make them. I'd buy a few. The replacemnts are getting expensive.

Have a great Monday!

Hugs,

Renie

bettyjf1 said...

Brenda, I LOVED all the photos. The wainwright building is beautiful how it stands out from the others. The link has views that make it look pointed. Your photos don't bore me at all.
I love your travel journals. Maddy looks so cute in her stroller.

Gramma Ann said...

I am never bored by your posts, And you can never have to many pictures. I wonder if that could be Henry VII's wife Anne's head. hee, hee. It does seem strange to see a head laying all alone as art. I love your caption on the fallen nude lady. Funny... I esp. like the first picture of the archway and the reflection in the window.

I can't wait to see your shawl. I haven't been in a crocheting mood for over a year. It is usually something I do in the wintertime, just to pass the time. Lately I have been reading to pass the time, because I keep buying books, so decided to read and catch up so I can buy the newer ones coming out that I like. I'm rambling....so will say So long for this time.

Reader Wil said...

Thanks Brenda for the tour! I like these modern sculptures! Thanks for sharing!

Rosy said...

Oh these photos are great of the new park, I am much like you when it comes to some sculptures not knowing what their meaning or purpose is all about..I come across many of the such without any information about them.

Sandy said...

I love architecture. I have several photos I need to get up from San Francisco recently and the other day we went to Long Beach Harbor, beautiful buildings there too. Maddie looks so cute. I tried to get into your other blogs with pics of her but it wouldn't let me so glad to see a recent pic.

Winifred said...

Those photos are wonderful Brenda. The ones showing the sky are fantastic colours.

Mary said...

Great shots of the architecture and sculpures. St. Louis has some neat stuff...but like you the head is just weird. I remember going to a sculpture park somewhere in the city. We need to make a day trip over there this fall. I like St. Louis. I want to go to the City Museum again. Been there once before and loved it.

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever