Friday, July 10, 2009

William J Clinton Library


We visited Clinton's Presidential Center on Sunday July 5th. This photo is one that I scanned from out ticket, because I failed to take a photo of the outside. This building was just completed in 2004. While we there I overheard some parts of a tour for children. I heard her say that the aluminum was recycled and the floors were made of bamboo. If you are interested in learning more about it here is a link to the website. Bob and I just had fun wandering around on our own.



Bob took this one. A view into Little Rock.




I really enjoyed reading The Timeline. Each of these sections were highlights of each year President Clinton was in office. It was good to see all of this and have it jog the old memory banks. The blue books were filled with daily logs of everything going on. I only pulled out one of them and read that he ran every morning for 15 minutes and then meetings, meetings, and more meetings.


Picture taking was allowed if you didn't use a flash and didn't sell or profit from them in anyway.
I thought these drawings were interesting. Probably just a few of the many that were sent to them and they chose these to display. So, if you have some art talent.... mail some to the President and maybe yours will be selected to go in the Presidential Library.





I took a few photos of some gifts
they received that I thought was very pretty,
like this mega globe.


And this beautiful blown glass.


I took several photos of the dinner menus because I thought it was interesting to see what they serve at the White House. I have a President Recipe Cookbook from 1968 that has some interesting recipes from President Washington to President Johnson.






The above photos are more gifts. Taking photos behind glass is very difficult, but I had hoped that some of these would help jog my memory about what we saw there.

I stared at this photo for several minutes just reflecting on what it must be like to be President. You will have to click on it to enlarge it, but in one photo, there are several camera men with large cameras taking photos of him. I can not imagine what it is like to constantly have a camera in your face.......every waking day....day after day. Or to always have to sit around a table making decisions. Very important decisions that affect so many people. And the burdens it may leave on your soul if you thought you made a wrong choice. I have always noticed the before and after photos of Presidents during their terms. Lots of ageing on them that photoshop can't always fix, if you know what I mean.


A replica room of the Oval Office.



A crossword puzzle with a little love note to Hilary.


Very pretty plate.


A replica room of the Cabinet Room. A tour group listening the the guide.


Dining table setting. I would be very very nervous
if I were sitting at a table at the Whitehouse.


A glass tree that was used for decor one Christmas.


Beautifully colored glass vase that I am afraid will not post well.


A small section addressed some of the Whitewater scandal. I liked the reflection of my shoes in this photo. It is a reminder to me to not be so judgemental of anyone. You know the old saying.......Judge not even after walking in another persons shoes.

7 comments:

Reader Wil said...

Brenda, what a wonderful museum! You must have had a great time walking there about. A president must feel the same strain that our royals must feel all the time being in the limelight.

Renie Burghardt said...

Wow, more great pictures, Brenda. I haven't been to the Clinton Library, but Greg has been there. I love the shot your husband took of Little Rock. It's such a pretty city. Well, for the most part.

You make a great tour guide! I enjoyed the tour.

Hugs,

Renie

Rudee said...

Yes, but were there books? He was/is a very well educated man. And where was the blue dress and the cigar?

Couldn't resist...

Brenda said...

Wil,
Yes, people in the limelight. Movie stars or anyone famous. I guess some get used to it, but I am certain I wouldn't be able to. I cherish my privacy.

Renie,
Maybe you can get Greg to take you there. I don't think you live all that far from there. That was only the second Presidential Library I have been to. I went to the Truman one here in Missouri.

Rudee,
Ha...I may still have the newspaper article about the dress, cigar, etc. I tend to save historical things like that. I have the White House Transcripts from Nixon's Watergate scandal. I sat and watched all of those hearings believe it or not.
Clinton was a high achiever and very ambitious. His story is very interesting. I wish I had taken a photo of what some of his favorite books were.

Rudee said...

I don't imagine the Bush library will have too many favorites...

Sandy said...

This was a great tour! so glad you got pics to post. Wow, so interesting.

bettyjf1 said...

This is beautiful Brenda... Wait for it; wait for it....
Where are the pics of Monica???
Sorry - I'm feeling onery today

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever