Thursday, August 27, 2009

Found A New Magazine ...


On our last trip to the bookstore, I came across this magazine and found it very interesting. The articles are short yet very informative, with a wide range of topics. So far I have read about the new technology using smart grids. Smart grids have been described as the Internet for electricity: a surge of new technology that will transform the way we use energy, making it greener, cheaper and more reliable, for the next generation.
I haven't made my way through the Cosmic Katrina article yet, but it sounds like a solar storm that could wipe out our electrical power. A little odd that both of these articles are in this issue. On the one hand the grid technology is trying to improve our planet and then along comes the cosmic Katrina destroying it. But like I said I have not read the article yet, so that was an assumption on my part.
The thing about this magazine that really captured my attention was its design. For some reason I have noticed products with certain colors and designs that are pleasant to me personally. It started about a year ago, oddly enough in the shower. I noticed how much I liked the colors on the Pantene bottle of shampoo. They were clear, crisp and simple, but at the same time gave a wow factor when I looked at it. I caught myself wondering what it would be like to be on the committee that decides what design and color to use. Of course things like that are all a matter of personal taste and we all have different tastes in colors and designs.
This magazine is like viewing the most pleasant blog I could view. The layout on each page, and the pictures are as good or better than National Geographic. It also has very little advertisement and only costs $5.99. I had stopped buying Home Decorating magazines several years ago, because of the huge ads.
Isn't it funny how.. no matter what our age... we just never want to stop learning. I think I have found that the older I get, the more I realize how little I know. There is just too much to learn!

5 comments:

Poetikat said...

Ah! It's a British mag, isn't it? They're always good. I like the look of it as well, Brenda and it looks like something I'd be interested to read. Thanks for the tip.
See you in Yoville?

Kat

Sandy said...

I'm like you..can't get enough "knowledge"...which simply means I'm a curious sort and the internet allows me to have an idea of something I want to research and be able to follow through..sometimes for hours. I've been interested in things "cosmic", etc...grids all that stuff. I visit every day boards that talk about what the sun is doing, some astronomy stuff, big fan of weather sites, phenomenon, ...

Agree about the packaging thing too. I'm very visual and images can carry me away...

Sandy said...

I went looking for your cooking blog and also, use to be able to get into the granny blog but can't now..darn.

Renie Burghardt said...

Hi Brenda,

Looks like a magazine I would like as well. Will have to look for it in Poplar Bluff at Hastings. We wouldn't have it around here.

I used to love decorating magazines as well, but don't bother with them anylonger. I think I'm through decorating, as long as I'm comfy and can see the pond and the woods and the deer, I could not ask for more. Remember Victoria magazine? I used to love it, but it no longer exists.

Have a great weekend!

Hugs,

Renie

Gramma Ann said...

I think I would enjoy this mag. as well. Will have to look for it next time I'm in the bookstore. I quit buying mags. a long time ago because of all the ads and it seemed like all the articles were for the younger generation, of which I am no longer considered the younger generation. Their values are so much different then mine, that I just quit buying them.

I sometimes wish that when I was in school I would have been a bit more studious. Because, like you I love learning new things. I may never use what I learn, but it is fun learning anyway.

Have a great week-end!

Ann

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever