Thursday, August 20, 2009

Good Health

I woke up this morning with a headache probably from sitting in front of the computer too long yesterday and last night. I did manage to get 6 hours of sleep though and for me that it is good. I decided.... starting today..... I HAVE to make some changes in my life style.
My blood pressure has been high the past two times I donated for The Red Cross. The last time I had annual blood work done, my cholesterol was slightly above normal...no meds needed...just loose weight and watch the diet. I have been over weight for the past 20 years. Right now I am at least 50 lbs overweight. Not enough to have stomach bypass surgery. I have dieted off and on over the past 20 years but don't stay with it for very long, and don't loose the weight very quickly when I do, and I think that it the biggest reason I don't stay on them very long. I don't see results very quickly. This time I have to throw out all that thinking and just make up my mind that by doing some form of exercise and eating healthier, surely I will do more good than harm.

The photo that I chose to go with this post is a yoga tape that I have... just sitting there waiting for me to use it. I took classes at a studio about 7 years ago and loved it. I felt so good when I left there. Probably the best I have ever felt in my life. I became self conscious though and quit after one month. I paid for one month so I had to go, and went 3 times a week for 90 minutes each session. I felt self conscious because no one else was as over weight as I was. No one at the classes made me feel uncomfortable or said anything negative that caused me to think this way. It must have been that little devil that sits on your shoulder sometimes trying to convince you to choose the negative thing, instead of the positive.

For my new eating menu...I have chosen the DASH diet that includes fruits, vegetables, grains and fish. Out of my way....little devil on my shoulder.....I refuse to listen to your negativity!!!!!

Wish Me Luck........

10 comments:

Renie Burghardt said...

Well, you're on the right path now, Brenda. Stick with it, and I'm sure you'll see results that will make you happy and healthier. Yoga is nice. I used to do it when I was younger. These days, I mainly walk 30 mintes, 4 times a week, and do some light, weight exercises 3 days a week. Stay positive and good luck!

Hugs,

Renie

Patty said...

I wish you the best of luck. Dieting is like alcoholics. It's a way of life, that has to be CHANGED, I know this, even though I haven't done it. I get discouraged early myself. Thank goodness my cholesterol is always good, but my sugar runs a little high, my blood pressure stays controlled with medicine. I did the exercise program, walking, and lost weight, but blood pressure didn't budge. Doctor said over weight isn't always the reason for it being too high. Go figure, it seems everything else it.

Again GOOD LUCK, I'm wishing the best for yhou.

PhilipH said...

It's hard to lose weight and keep it off.

Dieting is not the answer. Cutting out bread, butter, biscuits (cookies) and all sugary stuff is something I'd go for. If you feel the need for a snack choose fruit, or a carrot, or a stick of celery. Drink a glass of water will often help overcome snacking.

There is one sort of 'diet' that can help. It's the W.O.W. system.

On one day each week you can drink as much WATER as you want, have as many ORANGES as you like, and WALK as far as you can - at least a mile!

All best wishes in your quest to shed weight. Jolly good luck to you Brenda.

The Crusty Crone said...

Wishing you GOBs of good luck and immediate and lasting results. It only takes six weeks to make or break a habit. You can do it!

Rudee said...

Good for you. I miss yoga classes. I wanted to try one at a place near my new house, but everyone walking in and out of there looks like a starlet. Maybe I should blow the dust off my dvd, too. I'll join you in this endeavor!

Sarah said...

Hi Brenda,
Thanks for visiting. Good luck with this and also with your meeting on Monday! I am sure it will go fine and just look forward to afterwards!

Rositta said...

Brenda, I am not nor have I ever been overweight but for some bizarre reason I developed high blood pressure. Maybe the stress of health issues had something to do with it. Nevertheless, I have stopped adding salt to anything I cook and using only Dash. I also check salt levels on stuff I buy. Did you know that the identical cereal that you have in the U.S. if it's made for Canada contains three times the salt? Are you guys trying to kill us off, LOL...nevertheless I have developed a pot belly that I can't shake. Due to joint issues I can't do yoga and because of the darn foot I couldn't walk. I hope now that the foot is healing I can walk and loose that belly. Dieting is not always the answer (should be really deprive ourselves too much) but being active is the key. Good luck...ciao

Winifred said...

I think you're right Brenda diets don't work. It's a matter of cutting out the wrong things and eating more of the right ones. My problem is cheese! I love it and can't live without it.

I find I keep weight off if I do more exercise like swimming and walking. It does work because when we went on holiday on May I ate and drank loads yet I didn't put any weight on. I assume it was because I was swimming once or twice a day for at least half an hour.

My problem here at home is finding the time to do it as I'm tied up so much with my grandchildren. Roll on September and they'll both be at school. Then I'll have no excuse!

Best of luck with your programme.

Sandy said...

I wish you Luck and commitment too! This will be so good for you, just moving does wonders for the mood I've found. Any side benefits such as losing weight and toning are great but it is what it does for my mood that I love.

Glad to see you getting a "move on".

Gramma Ann said...

I am with you all the way. As you saw on the little video of me and my swiffer cover I am 50+ over weight, but decided to try a better eating lifestyle. But, believe me it is not easy. I like you have been up and down in my weight lose quest too. I probably lost 500 pounds since 1982. I also find it gets harder and harder to lose weight the older we get so you are much younger than me so go for it and loose what you can, but don't fret over it. Enjoy the new experience.

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever