Saturday, September 19, 2009

The Good Old Days.....


Today I went out to a Festival in Chesterfield where they had blacksmiths, whittlers, rope makers, rug makers and knitters.  It looked like the children were really enjoying all of these things.  The photo below is of a man  letting the little boy hammer some wood into a peg that he had whittled and smoothed out to go into something he was creating.  I didn't stay long enough to find out what it was.  Just long enough to see that the children were happy to take part in all of this.






This blacksmith was demonstrating how he makes iron roses.  He told the children that roses either have 5, 15 or 20 petals on them.  After he told them he chose to only have 5 petals on his, he demonstrated why.  He heated up the long iron and then flattened five areas enough to reheat them and bend them into a rose flower.  Some of us adults were standing around whispering...."Roses have more petals than that..."  I wandered off meaning to come home and check on the Internet how many petals roses have..... fairly certain that they have more than twenty sometimes.  I could not find anything that said how many petals a rose has. 
I also didn't look real hard.   Ha...lazy me.



Cute little baby sweater..and..the little Minnie one.  I talked to these ladies about joining their knitting guild.  I hope I can fit it in, because they were really nice and I know I would learn some things.



This fella reminded me a little of the one "Back To The Future" movie where they went back to the days like these.  I haven't seen those movies in so long I forget which one that was.  You can tell I put a whole lot of thought behind what I blog about here.   I figure I will see who really reads this post by if you know some of these puzzling and intriguing thought provoking questions here.




A few old quilts on a fence.  I have a lot of photos but don't want to make this post too long, so I will save some for another day.

4 comments:

Gramma Ann said...

I read the whole post and enjoyed it. I know the movie you are referring to, but don't know if it was two or three in the series either. I look forward to seeing more of your pictures.

PhilipH said...

Some great snapshots. And I particularly like the blacksmiths bit and his 5 petal rose!

Myra said...

Great photos Brenda! Looks like an enjoyable day was had! 8-)

Rudee said...

Like you, I'm not going to put too much into searching out the answers, but I did read your entire post.

A festival that highlights survival arts is always fun. I'm glad they let the kids get hands on.

I think joining a guild would be great fun for you. I love my spinning circle. It's a very social activity and we always have great fun, a lot of laughs and yes, even some education.

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever