Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Our new Stove


A couple of months ago we had to buy some new appliances and one of them was this stove. This isn't a picture of ours. Ours is black and I couldn't get a photo of it without a large glare, so I borrowed this one off the Internet. I was really excited to get a new stove because ours hadn't been working real well for a year or so. The oven would not bake right most of the time, and well, the stove was about 19 years old when it stopped working like new. So it was time to get a new one. Deciding what to replace it with was hard, because we don't think we will retire in this house, so didn't want to spend alot of money on one. This one was some where in between. It wasn't real expensive nor real cheap. I was really excited to be getting the four burners, with a warming spot because our old stove had one large burner and one small one. The other side had a jenn-aire grill. Those must have been popular in the late 80's, because I don't remember seeing any when we were out looking. Well...the reason I am writing this post is because I wish I had done some homework before we went out looking because I am having a time with this stove! It heats up really fast and I can't seem to get a handle on the temperature. I have burnt almost everything I try to make on it. If I turn it too low, it doesn't cook well, in the middle is even too hot. High heat is more like...get the fire extinguisher ready. The oven has a feature that I thought sounded interesting. It doesn't have a heating element stuck around the shelves that you could accidentally burn yourself taking things out. The elements are hidden behind the walls. The problem with the oven is that I have several Pampered Chef stones and bake-ware that I have used for 20 years with no problem. Now this new oven is making the pizza crust really hard, so I think it is overheating.
I doubt if I go to Sears and tell them I just don't like it or can't get used to it...they will let us trade it in. But I am going to go in there and at least tell them my issues and see what they say. So.....if you are thinking of getting a stove like this one, I would caution against it. I wish now I had gotten one with the burners that have the elements showing.
I think we just have some really bad luck when we have to go buy something new or get some repairs done around the house. Something usually goes wrong......

8 comments:

The Bug said...

My dad has one like this - I'll have to ask him for his tips. I know it did take a little bit for them to get used to it, but he's had it for years now.

Rudee said...

I'm in the same bind with the gas stove in this rental house. I miss my GE with the bells and whistles. I'd ask for service on yours because it sounds dangerous. You know, it may be product and not user error.

Renie Burghardt said...

Oh, that does sound dangerous, Brenda. I have a new Frigidaire, well, it's a year old now, a stainless steel with the black glass top, and I love it. You definately should go back and talk to them about the issues, maybe they will agree to trade it for another one. Hope something can be worked out.

My older son is coming from Ohio with my ten year old granddaughter this weekend, and I have been busy getting ready. So I haven't been on the pc much.

Have a good Thursday!

Hugs,

Renie

Myra said...

Been through some of those kind of experiences with different stoves, but I seem to figure things out, eventually...
Sorry I can't give you any advice on this one...
Good luck!

Gramma Ann said...

I never had a stove like that, so can't help out. I hope it gets fixed or you figure it out soon, burned food every meal would get tiresome. But, when I burn something, I don't call it burned, I say it is blackened chicken a new recipe I tried. hahaha. Or whatever I am cooking and burned. Nobody is fooled, but once Tony did say, this is good! He actually believed me. ; )

The Crusty Crone said...

It sounds like its not 'calebrated' correctly. Who knew a stove needed to be calebrated... not me. But a friend of mine was always burning things in the oven. She finally got a heat guage which showed her that if she turned it on to 250 degrees, it was heating up to 450 or so.

I'd be telling Sears that I expected them to fix the problem.

Jo said...

I have a friend who has a stove like that, and he can never get the temperature right.

You should get someone to look at yours, though. Something is not right. Better safe than sorry.

Sandy said...

Sorry to read that about the stove. Maybe they will surprise you and let you replace it.

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever