Thursday, October 1, 2009

The Simple Life....


This photo was taken at the Festival I went to a few weeks ago where they had some people demonstrating I guess you could say ....."Life in the old days". Those dresses made me wonder how they ever managed to get any work done. I know they worked very hard, but seriously, how do you even climb stairs in those bulky get-ups. I hate to say this but I think they took a few tumbles. I hope they had their pantaloons on when they went cart wheeling around the fields and up and down the steps. I am very happy to wear my stretch pants and bulky sweatshirts most days to carry wash etc. up and down stairs. Even with those on, I have slipped a few times. My observance of these dresses brought back a memory. One day... many years ago, I was driving home from work and decided that my car needed to be vacuumed. I drove up to one of those car washes with the super duper vacuums that suck off the upholstery of your seats and loosen up your floor carpet. Either that or you get one that previously sucked up part of a car and then won't pick up 3 strands of hair. That day I had on a skirt that was mid way past my knee, just a few inches shy of the above dresses. I get out of the car and notice the wind has really picked up. I put the coins in the machine and away we go. The wind blew my skirt into the vacuum and I start wrestling with the vacuum and screaming for help. Cars are driving by probably laughing their butts off at the poor kook trying to get control of the run away vacuum hose sucking up her skirt. Man did I wish I had some pantaloons that day.

Here is a photo of the chair I made Maddie. It stills needs some work, like more stuffing, and some tacking down of the arms, but I learned alot and may make another one with a more "child friendly" pattern to it. This was material I already had and I was trying to get by, like the people in the old days.

11 comments:

Renie Burghardt said...

Hi Brenda,

Women have come a long way since the old days! Those long dresses and bonnets look charming at festivals and such, but it must have been difficult to do many things, wearing them.

You car vaccum experience brought quite a chuckle, I must say, but I'm sure it wasn't funny to you, when it happened.

Love the chair you made for Maddie. It looks so comfy. I'm sure she loves it. Take a picture of her relaxing in the chair.

Have a great weekend!

Hugs,

Renie

PhilipH said...

Ahh.. my missus used to say something like:

The wind, the wicked wind, that blew the girl's skirt high ...

But God was just and blew the dust
to blind the bad boy's eyes..

That looks a very comfy chair you've made Brenda. How clever you are, really clever!

The Bug said...

I love the chair - the colors are great!

I often wonder what would have happened to me in the old days - I was legally blind without my glasses on until I had lasik surgery. I often imagine myself stuck in a corner doing very close up needlework since my near vision was good.

Rudee said...

A perfect story for such a rainy, gloomy day. You made me laugh. Thanks.

The chair? Adorable and definitely marketable. What is it stuffed with?

PhilipH said...

Rudee, it's probably stuffed with stuff.

OK, not funny. I know!

Poetikat said...

Did you get that tussle with the vac on video for AFV?
I like the new look here. It's very calming.

Gramma Ann said...

I still have a big smile on my face trying to picture you and the vacuum in a wrestling match. You are still with us so I guess you won. Hee, hee.

I think the chair for Maddy, looks quite comfy. I'm sure she will love it, no matter what pattern the material on the chair is. It will make her feel very grown up, with her own "Cleopatra" lounging chair.

Gramma Ann said...

I just thought of something. The Amish still wear the long dresses doing all their chores and gardening, etc. Somehow they manage. But, I'm with you, slacks and sweatshirts.

Patty said...

That vacuum wrestling would have made a good Funniest Home Video. Did it have an on off switch for emergencies? Or didn't you think to look, being so scared the machine might suck your skirt right off of you. LOL

The chair looks adorable. I don't see anything wrong with the design or colors. I bet your little granddaughter will love it. If nothing else she can lay her dolls on it.

Happy, happy week-end.

The Crusty Crone said...

Too Funny!!!!

I wonder when people started wearing panties/pantaloons. I remember seeing a program where folks had to live like they did a long long time ago...and they didn't wear panties. And them with no washer or dryer.

I've also heard that females wore long skirts to keep them from running away. Or maybe just to hide their legs. I'm just glad it became okay for women to wear pants.

Brenda said...

Renie,
Hope that you are able to get on here better now. I took the photos off the header that may have been slowing down the loading of my page.
Glad you got a chuckle out of the story!
Hugs,

Philip,
Oh I like that saying!

Dana,
My eyesight is similar to yours. I am legally blind without corrective lenses, so I love my contacts. Not enough money to have the surgery yet. When I have my cataracts removed, I will be able to see 20/20 I hear.

Rudee,
Like Philip said..it is stuffed with stuff. Ha. Polyester Fluff Fill. Very soft and suppose to be non allergic. It is a little too soft though and she has been having trouble getting in and out of it. So I am going to stuff it some more to firm it up.

Kat,
I don't know what AFV is but I will take a guess and say it is a recording camera. It would have been really funny if someone would have filmed it. It was hilarious.

Ann,
Glad you got a kick out of the story. I have lots of wacky stories like that one. I forgot the Amish do wear the long skirts. Yeah, I am more suited for pants.

Patty,
It was one of those that you put quarters in and no on or off switch. It was a monster! Thanks for the compliment on the chair.

CC,
I can see folks not wearing undies many years ago. With all the clothes they had on why have little clothes underneath.

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever