Monday, November 9, 2009

Hats Off To Hat Wearers...........


Last night I couldn't find anything to watch on TV and not having planned ahead by going to see if there was anything good to rent, I went scouring for some of our old movies that we have around here. One of them I found was "Out Of Africa". It is not one of my favorites, but I was glad that it won the awards that it did, because I thought it was deserving of them. Especially the Award for "Best Costume Design". I love all of the outfits and hats that Meryl Streep wears in this movie. I love the wedding outfit with this hat!


And this hat.

And this one.


And especially these two!


My husband might remember our first days of dating, and me wearing hats. They were usually the inexpensive straw ones with the wide floppy brims, but I would be a "hat wearer"
if I were a wealthy woman and had occasions to wear them. I wonder if they will ever come back in style for all of the average people. I know some people still wear them, but in my circle of the world they don't.


I also love this movie because of this beautiful veranda.



Oh...found one more I like.

7 comments:

Rudee said...

Can you believe I've never watched this movie all the way through? I just couldn't do it. I do agree though, the costumes were beautiful. Well, what I saw of them!

I love hats, too. I used to wear them all the time. The one I'm knitting now is stunning. I can't wait to finish.

Gramma Ann said...

I still wear hats in the winter sometimes. I remember wearing hats, loved them.

Poetikat said...

I'm a big hat-lover as well—both on screen and on MY head!
I have to tell you guys though, this is one of my all-time favourite movies. I loved everything about it!

Kat

Renie Burghardt said...

I liked "Out of Africa," both the movie and the book. I was never a hat person. Oh, I have a straw gardening hat that I wear to keep the sun out of my eyes and face, and a "riding the jet ski" hat, which I wear to keep my hair from leaving my head, when I'm on the jet ski. And I do have a knit winter cap. I wouldn't call that a hat though. Some people look great in hats, some don't. I think if you're tall and statue-esque (well, I probably spelled that wrong)you look great in hats. Tiny 5 foot tall people like me, don't.

Fun post. I enjoyed it. Have a great Tuesday.

Hugs,

Renie

Sandy said...

That reminds me, I've never seen the movie and about a month ago thought about it and wanted to rent it! Enjoyed the post.

Patty said...

Hats like so many things, including wearing cloth white gloves on a summer day is a think of the past. I think I could become a hat wearer also, they can certainly hide the bad hair day. LOL

Betty F said...

I've never seen this either. But I'm with you.. LOVE hats. I loved the knitted hats in the 70's.. I wish hats had not gone out of style.

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever