Thursday, November 5, 2009

Vivien Leigh


I have a web page I visit sometimes that tells me when famous people are having a birthday. This morning when I went there I realized it was Vivien Leigh's birthday today.... one of my favorite female movie stars. I remember seeing her for the first time when I was in the 8th grade, so maybe I was about 13 years old. My history class went to the Ambassador Theater downtown St. Louis to see "Gone With The Wind". I thought she was probably one of the most beautiful women I had ever seen. I remember wishing I was as pretty as she was. At 13, I don't think most of us feel very pretty. When I was in my early 20's I read whatever books I could find about her life. One thing I read that still stands out for me is that she had said that Clark Gable had terrible bad breath and after reading that I could not look at their love scenes without thinking how much she must have disliked those scenes. I read that she smoked 4 packs of cigarettes a day while they were filming the movie, so I wondered with all the smoke around both of them, how bad his breath must have been to stand out amongst the smell of cigarettes.



I loved the scene where she was back home at Tara with Melanie upstairs recovering, when an intruder came in the house. I think she had on an outfit similar to the one in the photo above. Her famous right eyebrow arched up as she looked at the intruder square in the eye and fired the gun. That was the most violent thing I had seen in my young life. Gone With The Wind was full of emotions. It was so strange for me to witness all my fellow classmates, laughing and crying throughout this movie.
I don't watch a whole lot of TV or movies at this time in my life, but I do have several favorites from my younger years. Vivien Leigh is one of my all time favorites.

5 comments:

The Crusty Crone said...

I agree... Vivien was a real beauty! She always reminded me of Liz Taylor, but I think she was prettier.

Gramma Ann said...

I saw "Gone With The Wind" when I was 9 or 10 years old. I didn't remember anything about it, except the end when Rhett said, "Frankly .... I don't give a ....."

The next time I watched it I was I'm guessing in my 40's. However, a friend told me not to watch it until I read the book first. That was one of the best books I ever read. I listened and read the book first, then watched the movie again. The book was much better than the movie, that is why she told me to read the book first. I hated the war scenes in the movie, so when it comes on TV, I may watch the first hour or two, but when the war starts, I am Gone With The Wind.

Winifred said...

Yes she was so beautiful but sadly a troubled soul as many film stars are.

One of these days I'll get around tor eading the book!

Renie Burghardt said...

Oh, I liked Vivien Leigh as well. I remember the movie being 4 hours long! And the book took me two weeks to finish! Yuck about the bad breath comment. Of course, the love scenes in Gone with the Wind were tame compared to love scenes these days!

I don't watch anything, in film or on TV with violence or war scenes of any kind. I saw plenty of that in real life as a child, which still haunt me occassionally, to this day. When you see people blown apart at the age of 6, you're never quite normal, for the rest of your life!

Have a good evening, Brenda.

Renie

Rudee said...

This is one of those books I always say I'll get to, then never do. I thought Vivien Leigh played that role perfectly. I loved and hated Scarlett. She was so devious, but she was a survivor.

Renie, your comment is very thought provoking. I'm sending a big hug your way.

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever