Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Brenda and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day Yesterday

I think we have this book around here somewhere. Maybe I should go fetch it and see if his day was as yucky as mine was yesterday. I went to the dentist and went there thinking I was going to get x-rays and have my teeth cleaned with my little misleading coupon that came in the mail awhile back for "x-rays and teeth cleaning for $49.00". I hadn't been to the dentist for awhile, but I knew that I most likely would not leave there paying just $49.00. But I sure wasn't expecting to see a plan they worked up for me for $1600. I had one broken tooth and a small cavity on the tooth next to it. Their plan was for me to start a gum disease preventative first for about $800 and then to clean and repair the others for the other $800. I questioned why they wouldn't want to repair the teeth first and do the gums last. The lady I told this to must have gone back and told the dentist that I was questioning their plan. He comes back in to the room and says..."How old are you Brenda?' I told him, but wondered why he was asking me that when he could have read it on the chart. He then says, "You are not a dentist are you?" I said no, and again wondered why he asked me that. Later I thought about it and figured out the hygienist must have told him I questioned their plan, and he decided he was going to put me in my place...in his own style.
It was one of those experiences that you think about later and all of the things you could have done and said differently. If I had to do over, I would have asked him to lose the attitude and just explain the plan and let me go home and think about it. We ended up spending $750 for x-rays, half of my mouth cleaned and 2 fillings. I came home and looked around a little on the Internet to find out what the average filling cost, and it was half of what he charged. No wonder he sends out those stupid coupons. From now on I plan on taking someone with me... to help me not get in those situations. The amount he charged was bad enough, but the attitude was worse. I am still in a really bad mood!
Lesson learned. From now on do NOT make any appointments without
1. Having someone there to help me understand what is going on.
2. Research the person you are going to go see.
3. Be better educated about dental practices and procedures.
4. Continue to throw away coupons that fill up the mailbox.

9 comments:

Gramma Ann said...

Oh dear me, I don't know what to say. Except I have a dentist appt. on Jan. 4, and 11, One appt. is to fix my front tooth that is loose. (It's a cap), but I still feel like a 7 year old with a loose front tooth. haha.. the second appt. is to fill a small cavity. But, none of that will come to $750. I guess he needed money for his New Years Skiing Vacation, and you are paying for it. Sorry, the computer made me do it.

bettyjf1 said...

Oh what an ass! I agree with all the things you'd plan on doing later. I had the gum cleaning first - but we're talking ... oh about....20 years since I'd done that. Hope things are otherwise going well with your holidays.

Renie Burghardt said...

Wow, Brenda, what a bummer! I think the dentists attitude would had resulted in me walking out of there! Maybe you can report him to some dentist association, or something.I'm sure they have one, just like doctors do, you can research it online and then write to them and complain, especially about his attitude!

Hope you have a Happy New Year!

Hugs,

Renie

Rudee said...

I'd report the schmuck. Obviously, he's a thief. Get a recommendation from someone you know, and don't go back to this robber.

Brenda said...

Yes he was indeed a theif, and I am still steamed about it!!! I forgot to mention he looked to be about 30 and I think that is why he asked me how old I was. He probably had an attitude because someone before me called him a young theiving whippersnapper.. low life.. good for nothing robber! Then he took it out on the sweet old woman that I am....hahaha. I am just mad at myself for not knowing what a dentist charges for a filling. I looked him up on the internet and he had other bad things said about him....so I will join them and report him to someone.

Poetikat said...

Okay. When ANYone talks to me like that I immediately, get up and take my business elsewhere. You are the consumer/customer. You aren't a child who needs to be put in her place. I would have told him where to stick his plan and he would not get a red cent out of me.
I hate to say it, but that guy is laughing all the way to the bank.
Do yourself a favour and stay as far away from that arse as possible!
(Just my opinion, of course, but you've got my Irish dander up with this.)

Love,
Kat

Poetikat said...

It was a great title to the post, by the way.

Village said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Crusty Crone said...

What an arrogant ass! oh I'm steaming!! Is this guy out of the 1950s? And a thief on top of it. Go get 'em!!!

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever