Tuesday, December 8, 2009

An Early Christmas Present From God

My son gave me this orchid for Mothers Day about 5 years ago and when he gave it to me it had a beautiful bloom on it. I had never had an Orchid until this one and tried to care for it according to what I had read about it. I re potted it in soil that is specifically made for them and fed it with food made for Orchids. It did not bloom however, after the blooms died off....until now!!!


I could hardly believe my eyes when I saw this shoot coming up on it the other day! After waiting 5 long years...here she is about to burst open with a gorgeous flower or flowers....looks like maybe there are 3 or four!


My African Violet is also in need of some tender loving care as it has split off and made another plant.
When the orchid blooms I may take a photo and use it for my header photo or avatar for awhile.
Thank you God for this most enjoyable gift.

7 comments:

The Bug said...

That's great! I can't wait to see the blooms. I LOVE flower, but I'm, um, an inconsistent gardner. Thank goodness Dr. M has a green thumb!

Myra said...

Awesome Brenda! How exciting!!! I can't wait to see the blooms!!!

That is one healthy African Violet you have there! 8-)

Rudee said...

That's the beauty of the orchid. Good for you for not giving up on the plant--a lot of people do. Now you'll be rewarded with some blooms that last such a long time.

Yes, the orchid makes us wait, but at least pays us for our patience on occasion.

Gramma Ann said...

That is a wonderful surprise. I can't wait to see it blooming.

The African Violet is lovely, and looks quite healthy to me. I always had trouble growing them, because I didn't have a window in the east end of my house, except in the laundry room, and that was not a good place for them. So finally gave up trying to grow them.

Patty said...

I don't know that much about orchids, but perhaps it takes that long to get pot bound and enough roots to bloom again. Yes we would love to see a photo.

Winifred said...

That's great news. You've been very patient.

I've never been a fan of orchids other than the petal paste ones I made for birthday cakes.

Then for my last birthday my husband bought me one. The reason? He couldn't think of anything else to buy. It was quite expensive and within a few days the flowers started to die off. I felt cheated. It's still there in the kitchen so maybe one day I'll get more flowers. I haven't re-potted it. Maybe I should look up how to care for it.

Renie Burghardt said...

Oh, how nice on the orchid! Your care and patience paid off, Brenda! i have a bunch of plants in the bay window and in the sun room. But the only thing blooming is the angel wing begonia. Your African violet is pretty! Take a picture of the orchid when it's in bloom. God is good, indeed!

Hugs,

Renie

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever