Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Different Strokes For Different Folks

photo borrowed from Wikipedia
Last night I sat down to watch some television and saw that American Idol was having its first new show of the season, so I watched it while continuing to knit my scarf. I thought overall, it was entertaining enough. There was really only 2 things that rubbed me the wrong way. One is Kara DioGuardi. I don't know why I don't like her, but I know that I don't. Before I decided to write these thoughts on my blog, I tried to do some digging into why we like some people.... but find it so difficult to like others. I really didn't find the answer to my question, even after listening to three 15-20 minute lectures on the brain and behavior. I guess I thought I could find a quick simple explanation to why this happens. Didn't find one. And then I find myself wondering if it is wrong or sinful to not like people. I think I do try to be open minded and fair in these situations, and I almost always try to put myself in another person's shoes, or follow the old "Golden Rule". But still....just don't like her. I wish I could. I know I am not unique in feeling this way. We all like or dislike certain foods and beverages and clothes and decor, and on and on. That is what makes special. I guess liking or disliking people could be compared to liking or disliking certain foods or beverages. One food that I don't like.. and don't think I ever could like is tofu. A beverage I don't like soy milk. However, if I were stranded on an island and the only thing I had to survive on was tofu and soy milk, I think I would get creative enough to figure out a way to like it or tolerate it. The same thing could apply to Kara DioGuardi. If we were forced to be together maybe we would find a way to like each other. But for now...just don't care for her.
The other thing that rubbed me the wrong way was... the people that they allow to audition just so they can make fun of them, or create some drama. I have been irritated by that before in past years, but this year it was just so clear to me that those people have to know they are going to be put on TV and be made to look like fools. If not, couldn't they try to sue them. I think they sign some papers agreeing to allow them to portray them in that way. It is still kind of irritating to me for some reason.
I heard Dolly Parton was considered to be a judge instead of Kara D. Or Conan O'Brien. I would have liked that. But that is just me.......

12 comments:

Patty said...

They say they have done test with small children and even babies, by showing them photos and letting the small children pick the one they liked best between a very pretty faced person compared to one very plain or homely. They always picked the pretty faced one. Same with babies, they would smile for the pretty faced ones, but not the homely ones. Perhaps it's something born in us. I've met people all ready and just like you, no matter what they looked like there was just something I didn't like, something seemed so wrong, but couldn't pin point the problem. In fact I've had several people, met for the first time, didn't like them, met them again and perhaps had to have a conversation with them or work with them on a project and found they were nice enough, but still that first impression would pop back into my head.

bettyjf1 said...

I thought Elene was going to be a judge??? :(
I have the same thing about just liking some and not liking others.. I'm always often wrong about my first assumptions about people. Just saying :)

As a judge though, she must have talked a lot and that gives you a better impression. Maybe she is an air head? So don't worry Brenda! :) It's o.k. not to like someone. I think.. Actually, yes.. as long as we DONT act on our dislike?

Poetikat said...

We got bored and turned it off. I don't like or dislike Kara.

We'll wait until the actual competition starts up and tune in then. I'm curious to see how Ellen does - she may get tedious after a while. We'll see.

As for tofu and soy milk; you're just not eating it done the right way. Soy milk in a fruity smoothie tastes good - you don't even taste the soy (there's also vanilla, chocolate and strawberry and you won't taste soy).
Tofu needs to be cooked with something to absorb flavours - it's best stir-fried to give it a bit of crispiness on the outside. I could do you a dish and I bet you'd end up liking it, Brenda.

Mind you - my mom's still not converted, so as you say..."different strokes..."

Rudee said...

I don't even know who she is, but some people just tickle that sixth sense. Intuition...it's a dangerous thing to ignore.

I don't like the way they make fun of people, either.

Gramma Ann said...

We are all drawn to some people and become closer to them than others. But that doesn't mean that we hate them, we just like them less that someone else. Which is not wrong. Different personalities are drawn to personalities that they can relate to better. At least that is my story, and I'm stickin' to it. hehe

I am not a fan of Kara either. Which is one of the reasons I quit watching American Idol. And the four judge thing just ruined the show for me. I didn't even watch it last night, passed it in remoting, but instead listened to The Joy Behar Show, at 8 o'clock and, at 9 o'clock listened to The Jay Leno Show, which is so amusing since NBC has chosen to pull him from 9 o'clock and put him back on at 10:35 PM... I don't think Conan O'Brien is happy about that, but, it didn't surprise me that Conan O' didn't go over on The Tonight Show.

Now Conan O' is one performer I can't stand to watch. I tried, (I think I am to old for his humor) but five minutes of his craziness and I switched to David L. which I can watch some of the time, I can't wait until hopefully Jay Leno is back on at 10:35 PM CST

When I learned that the contestants on American Idol are screened two or three times, before they reach the judges to perform, I realized it was rigged, and quit watching it last year. I felt like they were making a fool of the audience who watch the show, and especially of the contestants. Well there is my two cents, Brenda like it or not! hee hee.

Sandy said...

Fun read and I enjoyed reading the others comments. I don't know if I'll stick with AI auditions or not, rather boring and irksome.

Brenda said...

Patty,
I saw those tests for children also. I know... I have a best friend that I didn't like in High School, but we became friends after High School, and she was my Maid of Honor in our wedding. Go figure..sometimes it does turn around.

Betty,
Ellen is going to be a fourth judge, but I don't know when. I really don't know what it is about this young woman,Kara. I looked her up and she seems like a really accomplished young lady, but she just irks me. She seems really defensive and ready to fight you if you challenge her. Just a tough girl attitude. Maybe she will grow on me if I keep watching the show.

Kat,
Sounds good! When are we getting together for lunch? It would be nice someday.

Rudee,
Yes, I am really very intuitive, almost like that sense that dogs have... sometimes. Just get that feeling that is hard to ignore.

Ann,
I appreciate your input...no need to apologize. I asked for everyone's opinion. I agree the show is rigged for the ratings. Anything for the ratings. I don't watch late night talk shows...well, I do every so often. My son really likes Conan and I try to watch what my children like. I watch Wonder Pets with Maddie...ha. Starting to like those little critters. Ha

Brenda said...

Sandy,
Yep...every year I say I don't think I will watch it and then I do anyway. Hope you are doing well!

Renie Burghardt said...

I don't watch Idol, never have. My daughter loves it.

We all have likes and dislikes. Nothing wrong with that, as long as we don't carry it too far. After all, there are people who don't like us! To each his own, I say.

Oh, I bet I would like wonder pets. Got to find that. Is it on Animal Planet!

Hugs,

Renie

Brenda said...

Renie,
No...Wonder Pets is a cartoon. They help save animals in trouble. Our little Maddie likes it. It is cute.

Mary Anne Gruen said...

My husband and I agreed this year that we prefer "So You Think You Can Dance."

I've heard about the thorough screening process too for American Idol. I've heard that good singers don't always make it through because they aren't seen as "marketable." And they pick others who they think will be fun to laugh at.

I'm sure the ones they put through to the judges just to laugh at all have to sign waivers. Some probably do it because they're willing to do absolutely anything to get on television. And others seem to have emotional problems that keep them from seeing fully what's really going on.

I enjoy seeing real auditions, but I can do without this other nonsense. It's sort of like "High School Bullies, Part 2" with the subtitle, "We're Hot, You're Not."

I prefer tuning in when they've got a final group. I know they've all been heavily typed and that there are occasional ringers. But at that point it's more of a singing contest.

As for not liking someone and the Golden Rule, I think you can't feel warm feelings for everyone. But you can try and treat them properly. That's a lesson I wish some of the judges on AI would learn.

Brenda said...

Mary Anne,
I couldn't agree with you more.
Well said. We have a friend's daughter that auditioned for the show a few years ago and she does have talent and was told she didn't have the "right look". The "look" you described is what they are marketing. Not real talent or talent that can develop. I think they throw a few in there some years, but they are really just looking for whatever sells. I was surprised to see that some people actually like the first few shows better than the later one. I read that somewhere and thought...?????? WHAT...really?

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever