Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Look Up In The Air...No.. Down On The Ground...It's Superwoman!

This was one of the new exercise poses I learned yesterday. Superman. I met with my trainer at the gym for my 3rd and final visit, unless we wanted to pay for more sessions. I have to say this lady knows her stuff! Very impressed with her. She is my height and is in really good shape. Very small build... but solid muscle. She doesn't look muscular though. She is about 10 years younger than me, but has 2 kids the same age as mine and grandchildren the same age as mine. Half of the session was us sitting down and discussing if I wanted to continue with sessions and if I did, they would include a diet program. She asked me if I watched the "Biggest Loser" on TV and I had to admit I have never seen the show. 24 Hour Fitness must really work with this show because she said they sell the BodyBugg, an arm band that you wear all day that calculates how many calories you have burned. Apparently the TV show uses this same band. She asked me if I had lost any weight after a month of working out, and I said no I gained 5. So we talked about diets in general for awhile. I told her I had already decided to go on Weight Watchers, and she said to just watch the sodium in the frozen dinners, etc. As much as I would like to think I am such a "Know-It-All" when it comes to nutrition, I realise I could still listen to others and learn some more. All the years that I was a Mom and a Wife and preparing most all the meals we ate...I thought I had learned a thing or two along the way. I used to know the vitamin content in vegetables, grains, meats, etc. But my memory is really going downhill these past few years...along with my hearing. And stubbornness has been rearing it's ugly head with my ageing process also....or is that just my Irish/Scottish blood.
The rest of our session she really worked with me on teaching me some exercises I could do with the balance ball. I bought one a year or two ago and never used it. Let me tell you...there is A LOT you can do with those! I have homework to do with that thing. My balance is really off...and I am looking forward to seeing where this will lead me in that regard. I was really very self-conscious doing these exercises because you are in a area where you are "On Display". She kept trying to reassure me that no one was looking at me, but I felt like I was going to fall on my ass right in front of everyone. She held on to me so that I wouldn't. That is why I have homework to do. If I plan on doing those exercises there at the gym, without a spotter I need to work on it in the privacy of our home. She was really very kind and did not make me feel like an idiot or anything. This morning when I woke up, I actually FELT some of my muscles. I haven't been in touch with them for a long time. Welcome back...old friends. Use it or lose it. It is never too late. All of those cliches...so true!

8 comments:

Gramma Ann said...

Good for you and all the hard work you put in at the gym. It is always nice to have someone to talk to when trying to change a lifestyle. I hope your exercise routine and weight lose program kicks in and works for you. You go girl, be careful, hang on, "rollin' rollin' rollin' on the river..."

The Bug said...

I really admire you for continuing to go to the gym! I really need to start exercising regularly...

Rudee said...

I'm always appalled at the sodium counts in some prepared foods. It's kind of shocking. No wonder I always feel bloated. I salt my food when I cook--reasonably and never salt the finished dish.

Keep working on that balance ball. It works!

bettyjf1 said...

The old Weight Watchers diets (back when we were young) was real good for you.. It really reminded me of the Diabetic diet I was one with my last pregnancy.. I LOST 25 pounds off myself during that pregnancy and ate.. like 6 times a day.. I'm with you.. THEY ARE TOO watching you. I saw the Biggest looser with Katie a while ago.. She loves it (she's lost 40 pounds... I know it's bad, but I'd rather eat my baked potato with BUTTER and a little BUTTER.. Good luck!

Renie Burghardt said...

Wow, Brenda, you're doing great! Keep up with the program. For me the low carb diet works so well. When I wanted to lose weight, it did the trick. Lost and kept off 30 pounds within a few months. My exercise is mainly walking every day, and some light weight lifting to keep my arms from going flabby, plus stregth, of course.

Go Superwoman!

Hugs,

Renie

Jo said...

You're my new hero. :-)

I think any kind of exercise is good and you are definitely going in the right direction, and you will do well. Weight Watchers is great. You can eat whole (unprocessed food) on Weight Watchers and that way you can keep your sodium content down. I don't like processed food.

I like your new avatar, by the way. It's very pretty.

Cheers,
Jo

Sandy said...

I'm so impressed with your still going to the gym and sticking with it. I've wanted to get one of those balance balls but never have.

Good for you and just think where you will be by next summer. I hope you are taking before and after pics for us. And if not, at least take them for yourself, as it will be encouraging to you.

Brenda said...

Ann,
Haha...rollin down the river....boy that Tina Turner could sure shake it.

Dana,
Thank for your visit and for your kind words of encouragment!

Rudee,
I do the same thing when I cook. I can't figure out why there is so much salt in prepared meals that are so easy and convenient, but I am thinking I should just stay away from them.

Betty,
Ha! I knew they were watching me! At least they have TV's there that hopefully people are watching. I do, when I am on the eliptical machines.

Renie,
You sound like you are in great shape! I know you get lots of fresh air feeding all the animals where you live also.

Jo,
Thanks for the encouragement! My goals are really to just go everyday or at least 5 days a week. If I lose weight that will be great, but just gettting out and making myself do this is enough for me.

Sandy,
Funny that you said that about having a photo, because when I was there today I thought about that. They have mirrors every where, so that you can see yourself and make sure you are doing the exercise properly. But I really really hate having my photo taken...so we'll see.

Thanks everyone for your visit!

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever