Wednesday, February 17, 2010

40 Days.............



Today is Ash Wednesday. As I sat in church I thought about what I wanted to offer up as a self giving activity to Jesus.
Lent, in Christian tradition, is the period of the liturgical year leading up to Easter. The traditional purpose of Lent is the preparation of the believer — through prayer, penitence, almsgiving and self-denial . Many people give up cigarettes, alcohol, chocolate, ice cream, gum, cookies, TV.....I guess anything that would be a struggle for them during the 40 days. I don't smoke, drink alcohol or chew gum. I do however, love ice cream and all sweets, so that would be an obvious choice for me. The priest talked about how we should feel joy and happiness during this time. That led me to think about how I have been told by many people throughout my entire life...that I just don't smile enough. I have the kind of face that looks sad, unless I am cracking up over something funny. Some people have a permanent smile on their face. Their eyes are all lit up and they smile at everything. I just wasn't blessed with that gene. I don't even like photos of me smiling many times. The photo above in the middle is a recent one of me, that I did in photo explosion, that has a pencil texture to it. I had this one on facebook for awhile and my nephew said I looked really unhappy.... like I was in an ice cube. I was trying for a movie star look, like the two on the sides. Vivien Leigh and Greta Garbo. Ha!
So....I have decided that each day I will practice smiling for at least 5 minutes. Maybe after 40 days, I will have developed a habit of at least trying to smile more often. It may also help my face muscles, and give a bit of a face lift. ......

11 comments:

Sandy said...

That's a wonderful idea.

Thinking what I would give up if I pretended to still be Catholic....hmmm..

Orange slices or Good N Plenty, might do it.

The Bug said...

Great idea! I was just reading on another blog about being intentionally joyful. If I can find it I'll send you the link.

The Bug said...

Here it is!

http://kimprayz.wordpress.com/2010/02/15/live-courageously-practice-joy-accept-responsibility-2/

Renie Burghardt said...

Is that Garbo, on the right? You do look sort of sad in the picture Brenda. I'm a smile at everyone person. Usually joyful, jovial, etc.

I don't know what to give up for Lent, but I decided to be more helpful to people.

Nice post!

Hugs and Smiles,

Renie

Brenda said...

Sandy,
Those orange slices sound really good!

Dana,
I read the blog you refered me to. Loved it! Thanks!

Renie,
Yep...it is Garbo. I had a feeling you have a nice happy look most days! That is great!

Jo said...

I think you have a very pretty face, but that one picture does look a bit sad. A smiling is the quickest, cheapest face lift -- not that you need one. :-)

I'm giving up red meat for Lent. I will still eat fish, however. I love fish.

Rudee said...

Be careful with all that smiling. If you do it too much, someone will make fun of you. To see what I mean, go take a look at this:

http://foodnetworkhumor.com/2009/01/the-giada-de-laurentiis-smile-meter/

I love ya no matter how much you smile 8>)

Brenda said...

Rudee,
I checked it out.....oh my...hahhaha...

Jo,
I am practicing my smile and face lift right now...hope it works.

bettyjf1 said...

I always think of you smiling when I picture you in my mind!!! Must be your soul smiling out at everyone! I Need to "celebrate" lent this year. Thanks for the reminder.

Reader Wil said...

What a great idea, Brenda! I'll join you for I don't smile enough either! Thanks for your visit! Have a great weekend.

Patty said...

What a great idea, I know you can do it. Just think of some silly little song or joke, and SMILE. And through out the day, do it again and again and again. Before you know it, you'll look happy to others. That would be better than having to give up your sweets. LOL

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever