Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Feeling Good.............

photo borrowed from an education website

I am very excited today! I made the decision, pretty last minute, to fly out to Scottsdale to visit my friend. Sharp contrast to my last post, about saving every dime and cutting back on everything that is not necessary. I know...I know.... My friend was scheduled to come here for a visit and we were supposed to get together Monday for lunch. One of her dogs became ill and she needed to stay home, so we didn't get together. We talked on the phone and decided that life is just too short to always put things like getting together on hold... and all the excuses we come up with...no money, no time, etc. etc. I thought about it and realized she is right. There is never a good time. Sometimes you just have have to take the bull by the horns and go for it. So I am leaving on Friday morning and coming back this time next week.
My friend has been my friend for about 26 years. We met while our four year old girls were involved in YMCA classes. One of the classes the girls were in was called "Creative Movement". They were blessed with a really good teacher named Mary. She had such a fabulous rapport with the children. They did a lot of physical activities designed around "Pretending". They pretended to be a tree and shook the leaves off and fell to the floor to scoop them back up, and then pretended they were munching the leaves like a bug. They were working on their skipping skills, but not in a competitive way. She helped them in a fun adventurous way. Most of the classes were done without the parents there, but every session, the parents watched at least one class. So Eva and I sat out in the lounge area and got to know each other. Our daughters held hands and giggled together and we got together often so that they could play together. Unfortunately they moved to Scottsdale about 3 years after we met. We visited each other fairly often over the years, some years more than others. I hope that when we are together this visit we can do some creative movement of our own. I would love to make some really memorable fun things to do with my friend. Maybe we will climb a mountain...okay...maybe a mound of dirt. Maybe we will make mud pies, and go to a park and swing like we are 4 year olds. Do they still have see-saws? Oh hell...maybe we will just settle for waking up over coffee and remembering the past 60 years.

7 comments:

Rudee said...

Good for you! Life is too short to put off important things like friendship. It'll be great to experience some sunshine and warmth, too. Maybe you could drive to Sedona to get a little of those creative thoughts flowing.

In the meantime, I know you're busy packing and all, but I've tagged you for a meme.

Winifred said...

Definitely a good idea Brenda. Life is short and you never know what's around the corner. Seize the moments and have a great time. Create more memories, they don't have to be massive! Sometimes just a cup of coffee and a cuddle are wonderful

Sandy said...

I'm thrilled for you!! She sounds like a wonderful friend and what a great place in the winter to escape to, Scottsdale of all places. I'm assuming you mean in Arizona. If you get time, take a side trip to Sedona and be a reporter on the spot, I love that place!

Good for you doing something so spur of the moment irregardless of cost.

Myra said...

Have a great visit with your friend in Scottsdale Brenda! Safe travels... 8-)

Jo said...

Isn't it wonderful to have friends like that?

Have a fabulous, fabulous tmie!!!

Gramma Ann said...

I am so happy for you. Sometimes spur of the moment things are best. That way, we don't set around fretting, should I, or shouldn't I.

Go for the GUSTO, and have a wonderful memorable time. I can't wait to hear all about it, and don't forget pictures, we want to see pictures....

Renie Burghardt said...

How wonderful for you, Brenda! Have a great time making mud pies and swinging, and all kinds of other fun things. Or just sit and yack and reminisce about the old times when your daughters were little girls. Can't wait to hear about it and see pictures!

Enjoy!

Hugs,

Renie

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever