Monday, February 1, 2010

Hurry Up Spring....

It is getting close to the time where I need to make up my mind if I want to try and start some flower seeds inside the house to transplant them in April or whenever I feel it is safe. I probably will, I just need to go and search for the little trays. I am sure they are there, at Target or Lowes because right after Christmas, Target has bikinis and swimsuits out. It was 0 degrees here around January 1st, and you walk in the store and see bikinis. I wanted to walk in and see gloves, hats and big coats. The sad thing is that if you are in need of some swimwear, you would have to buy it now because when May rolls around and the pools open up, you will end up getting the leftovers. When our weather is really in full blown comfortable swim season...say...July....that is when you purchase Christmas items and winter boots. Go figure.
I awoke this morning at 4 am and cannot get back to sleep. I have a feeling I will pay for it later. We went to an auction on Friday night for the Sisters of The Most Precious Blood. They are some really sweet sisters. There were about 3 or 4 small quilts and knitted baby items that were on the silent auction that did okay, but the 3 larger quilts that were in the oral auction only went for $150 to $300. What a shame. The material alone costs that. The money is just not there to donate. I think most of us are struggling to just take care of our own needs and bills and the "extra" is just not there. We are still holding on pretty well, because Bob still has his job and we can still pay our bills, but we do need to find ways to cut back, big time. I am confident that we can do it though. We went to the bookstore over the weekend and did not purchase a book and got a small coffee and did not go out to eat. Just changing a few things like that will help....I hope.
Well, it is now 7:10 am, so I may try and lay back down for an hour, because I have so many things I need to get done for the day.

8 comments:

Rudee said...

I think you should go ahead and plant. This way, if spring is late outdoors, you'll have something pretty to look at.

I think that sometimes, it can be just as expensive to cook these days as it is to go out for a meal.

I hope you're able to catch up on your sleep. I slept until ten. Yikes. Now I'm behind.

The Bug said...

Hope you were able to get some more sleep. I was SORELY tempted to call in "sick" today, but either I'm too introverted to call my boss, or too responsible. Either way, here I sit feeling drowsy.

Dr. M & I could sure stand to save some money. Just when I think we're doing ok one or the other of us comes up with something new to buy. Sigh. We are TOO MUCH alike on the finance front. Couldn't ONE of us have been frugal?

Patty said...

Beautiful warm orange flower. Abe never starts flowers from seeds, he waits and plants the seed where he wants the flower to sprout. But then he can make a little thin line, throw down some seeds, take his foot and cover them with a little dirt and they come up. He's got a green thumb, not me. LOL

Last night I woke up every hour, I think because I took a short nap in the afternoon.

Gramma Ann said...

I have slept pretty well for the last 4 nights. I think getting that tooth pulled took a lot of energy out of me. But, soon will be back to some nights with insomnia. I know nothing about planting seeds or plants. Never had a green thumb, and at this age I doubt I ever will. hee, hee.

Renie Burghardt said...

I usually just buy plants in the spring, instead of seeds now, which certainly would be more frugal. But wildflowers bloom around here everywhere that I didn't plant. Nature has a better green thumb than I.

I was pretty frugal all week, since I couldn't get out and go to lunch with friends. But today my son took me to lunch, and it was his treat, after he plowed my driveway. Eileen is still snowed in, as they didn't plow her gravel road yet. Hopefully, tomorrow. Funny, because she lives 2 miles out of town and I live 10 miles out.

They had winter jackets on sale at Walmarts, so I bought one. A nice, fluff-filled pink one!

I am usually up at 4 or 5 the latest. Am a morning person. Of course, I go to bed by 9, and watch TV in bed for a while.

Our weather has improved and we got to 40 degrees. But there is still snow on the grass and in the woods.

Have a great week, Brenda. Hope you get a good nights sleep tonight!

Hugs,

Renie

Sandy said...

Hi Brenda, I relate to your finding ways to cut back. We are doing it here and eating out less, never buy anything frivolous at all...etc.

M is still looking for a job and there is none to be found, and my son still hasn't found one after a year this month of being laid off.

but I'm optimistic, I can feel something is going to break open soon.

PhilipH said...

I can't wait for Spring either!

Started to SNOW again today here in the Borders of Bonnie Scotland so planting anything for at least two months is a no-no.

bettyjf1 said...

I love your flower. I'd plant too.. This time of year was always "Bare Root Rose planting time" in CA.. They grow Roses here but mine don't do well--- o.k. they die.

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever