Sunday, February 21, 2010

A Serious Man


Last night we watched a movie called "A Serious Man".  It is up for Best Picture this year at the Oscars.  This year they are having ten films nominated, instead of five.  I read that the expansion is a throwback to the Academy's early years in the 1930s and '40s, when anywhere between eight and 12 films were shortlisted. "Having 10 Best Picture nominees is going to allow Academy voters to recognize and include some of the fantastic movies that often show up in the other Oscar categories but have been squeezed out of the race for the top prize. 
This will be the only movie nominated, that I will have seen.  My son, is a big movie watcher and has seen at least half of the nominated movies.  Myself, I usually just watch the award shows to see the pretty clothes and hair styles, and all the glamorous people, while I sit at home in my sweat clothes and uncombed hair.  Who knows....maybe I will get dolled up this year, just for the heck of it. 
I thought "A Serious Man" was a good movie.  Period.  I read some comments and reviews and a few other blogs trying to analyze the movie, and I personally just think they are taking it all too serious.  It is just a good movie with a few scenes that really cracked me up.  I  think it is meant to be a dark comedy, which to me means it has its ODD moments.  It has stirred some folks up because they reference it to being like the book of Job.  It is like the book of Job to me... in that the main character has many bad things happening to him and struggles to figure out why.  Other than that...it just isn't meant to be taken very serious....in my opinion.
I liked that the story was taking place in 1967.  I was a sophomore in high school that year, and for some reason, I like to revisit my youth every now and then.  Mostly memories of the music I listened to during those years, and maybe the hair styles and clothes, and things like that.  It takes a movie, book, or TV show to jog my memory to those days.  I really don't have very many photos of those years.
I also liked that there weren't any well known actors in this movie.  I think they did a great job and hope to see more of them someday.  My favorite line was when the son called his Dad while he was at his lawyers office, discussing all of his problems, and says.... "Dad.....F Troop is fuzzy again."  You would have to see the film to get it, but it really cracked me up.
Other than movie watching and knitting... I have just been very busy, and have not had much time to devote to my quilt.  Hope to make some time for it soon!

11 comments:

Sandy said...

That sounds like a good movie to me. I like movies too, that take place in the 60's. Hope you find that time to quilt. I keep thinking of taking up some kind of needle work ...it's something I would like to do, but realistically it isn't going to happen for awhile... too many other things I need to be doing.

Renie Burghardt said...

Sounds like the kind of movie I'd like. But I don't watch many movies these days, unless they're good oldies on TCM.

I enjoy watching the Academy Awards as well, to see the glitz and glamour.

After a beautiful, sunny week, it's cloudy and dark out there. Have a great week.

Hugs,

Renie

Ruth said...

It's on our queue, it sounds interesting.

And yes, sometimes a movie is just a movie.

Jo said...

Brenda, I LOVED that movie...! Of course, it's the Coen Brothers (they did Fargo) and their movies are always wonderful. And you're right, it's not meant to be taken seriously.

I have also seen "The Hurt Locker" which is in a tight race with "Avatar". "The Hurt Locker" is ghastly...! I have also seen "District 9" which is also ghastly, but I enjoyed it.

Gramma Ann said...

I don't watch many movies anymore in the theater. I'm like Renie, I mostly watch the good old oldies on TCM. I also have been enjoying Public TV's Masterpiece Classic shows this year.

I guess Renie and I think alike, because, I too enjoy watching the Oscars show just to see the glitz and glamour. Mostly I just watch the Red Carpet part of the Academy Awards night.

Enjoy your week and keep warm and cozy.

Ann

Rudee said...

I never thought about getting all dolled up for the Academy Awards. What a great idea! If I were in my new house, I'd have an Academy Award Spin and Knit In. Maybe next year.

I'm going to check out this movie, Brenda. Thanks for the review.

Betty F said...

I remember 1967! Kind of. I'll have to see that movie now! Thanks for the review. Lyndsey, my daughter, and I have had a couple of Academy Award Parties, but only for her and me. :)

Reader Wil said...

The Dutch were a bit disappointed that one of our movies, which was supposed to be nominated, didn't get a nomination. The film is called "A winter in Wartime". It deals with the last winter in WWII in the Netherlands.

Reader Wil said...

Oh Brenda! I forget to say that I enjoyed reading your post! Thanks for your visit. Yes we also like to sit in the kitchen, but my kitchen is an open kitchen and is connected to the livingroom. My house is not big, but for me and some guests it's big enough!

Brenda said...

Sandy,
I can see you sketching from some of those photos you have been taking on your walks. Yes....the 60's...glad I lived during those days.

Renie,
We watch TCM and AMC and the oldies also. The classics are always great. I am glad we have those channels.

Ruth,
Yes....it wasn't meant to be a remake of the book of Job....but the critics have to have their say. Thanks for visiting!

Jo,
My son saw Avatar and didn't like it very much, but we think it will walk away with the awards. I guess we will find out next week!

Ann,
Don't you just love when ladies get all dressed up! I do.

Rudee,
If we lived close, we could have that party together. That would be fun!

Betty,
That is neat that you and Lyndsey have parties together for the awards. Fun!

Wil,
I have to keep my eyes peeled for that movie. That sounds like one I would really enjoy. I wonder if it will be more popular this year.

Russell said...

I'll put this on my list of movies to see -- though that list just keeps getting longer and longer.

I agree that any movie that takes place in the 60s is one I would enjoy.

Take care.

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever