Thursday, June 17, 2010

A Fabulous New Toy

Bob brought one of these digital scanners home from a co-worker to let us try out and see if we liked it.  We did...and purchased one a few weeks ago.  I just finished scanning in 2400 old photos that are now all safely stored on the computer and on an external hard drive.  They are still not organized by files with names for certain events, but at least I pushed myself to complete this first task.  I don't remember what year we went to digital cameras, but whenever we did I am glad that we did..  The earliest photos I have is one of my Grandpa in a WWI uniform.  I have a lot of photos from the 40's of my parents and grandparents.  I was really excited to run across some photos of people that I never really knew who they were, and don't think I ever asked my Mom when she was still living.  The thing that I am excited about is that one of the photos had writing on the back and I found out she was my Mom's Aunt on her mothers side.  A few years ago I spent one whole winter doing genealogy because I never knew very much at all about my mothers side of the family.  Her Mom had died when she was 5 and she didn't even know all that much about her family.  She tried doing genealogy before she passed away for many years and was unable to find out very much either.  So after my Mom died I took all of her records and went on a search of my own.  I came up with nothing as far as her Mother's relatives were concerned.  My Mom had told me about this Aunt of the photo I found, but only that her and her sister stayed with her shortly after her Mother died and that she moved and then my Mom and her sister had to go stay at a boarding house or some sort of foster care so that my Grandpa could work.  Eventually he remarried and then got them back to raise them with his new wife and her 5 children.  So many missing puzzles for me, because I don't remember ever meeting these step siblings of my Mom's, although there are alot of photos of them from the 40's.  I guess like many of us, after we have children of our own we lose contact with a lot of people that we used to know.  One thing this tells me though is that she must have not been all the close with her step siblings to have never had any contact whatsoever after the 50's.  Now I have a renewed interest in searching around for this Aunt of my Mother's to at least see what country they came from.  My Mom's Mom had a peculiar last name or at least as far as Ancestry. com is concerned.  They could not point me in a direction of what country the name may have come from.
Other than doing this, I have been enjoying spending a few days a week with my new grand baby and of course my little Maddie.  Katy and I have been wanting to take them to a few outings that are fun but the weather has not been very cooperative.  It rains at least 4 days out of the week and the other days are steamy hot.  I haven't planted one single flower.  The other day we had a flash flood and I was out driving in it.  Very scary.  Surely the rain will let up soon............

8 comments:

The Bug said...

That's cool about the scanner - what kind is it?

I'm slowly warming up to the idea of checking out ancestry.com. I'm just already chained to my computer so much that I'm not sure I need to add another computer thing to my life! I might have to give up blogging, or reading my comics!

Star said...

I don't know what a digital scanner is. Please could you do a post and explain what it is exactly and how it works and why it is better than an ordinary scanner? Thanks.
Blessings, Star

Winifred said...

I'd be interested to find out about it too. Is it higher quality than ordinary scanners? I've hundreds of old photos to copy.

Renie Burghardt said...

Hi Brenda,

That scanner sounds great. I, too, would be interested in knowing what make it is.

I found a bunch of cousins on Facebook. They are all in Hungary, and they are my facebook friends now. Problem is, most of them speak only Hungarian, except for a couple, and my Hungarian is very rusty anymore.

Hope you can find out more about your aunt, etc.

Have a great weekend.

Renie

Sandy said...

Fascinating stuff about your mom's family and you finding out a little more and finding photos. My mom's mom also died when she was young, she was only 3 or so. Anyway, enjoyed reading it.

I can't wait to see pics of the kids...please please...ha.

Rudee said...

The scanner is definitely interesting.

I enjoy reading about your family history. What I really want to read about is that new baby and how Maddie is enjoying being a big sis.

bettyjf1 said...

Oh I'm so glad about the scanner!!!! I got my first one in 1996! :)
Having all our old photos and my parents old photos on my computer (AND external hard drive) is such a blessing. Once they're all organized. Congrats! I'm really happy for you.
The last name could have been shortened if her family came through on Elis (sp) Island when they immigrated. I believe it was not uncommon. Good luck with finding them; I've thought about it but never followed through!

Brenda said...

Just wanted to answer a few questions on this post. The digital scanner is called Pandigital photolink one-touch scanner, and we bought it from Amazon.com. We asked at Best Buy, Target and other stores but no one carries it but good old Amazon came through for us. It cost about $100. It is smaller than a regular scanner, and doesn't need to be plugged into the computer or anything else. It has a memory card that holds 2 GB and you can purchase other cards that have 32GB. I started off scanning about 100 at a time and then loading them on the computer, but found out I could have put a few hundred or maybe more on at a time.
What makes this better than the regular scanner is that you just feed one in right after the other, instead of opening and closing the scanner lid. With 2400 photos to load in this made it really worth the hundred dollars. It also has a sheath that you can put old and worn photos that are delicate in there. Of course you can put those in a regular scanner also. You cannot load any photos larger than 5 x 7 though. The quality of the photo seemed to scan in better than the original to me. But don't ask me how that works.I am clueless.

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever