Friday, July 9, 2010

Reverse Psychology Does Not Always Work


Yesterday I watched Kayla and Maddie so that Katy could go to the Dentist. While Kayla was napping in her swing, Maddie and I got to have some time together. We started out having a tea party, where she poured the tea and then pretended to get some other things to go with our tea. She brought back ketchup and applesauce and we had to mix it in our tea and drink it. YUM!!! I asked for scones but she insisted on these things. Then I told her we needed to discuss some important world events while we had our tea. I started by saying that I felt like world peace was very important and that we should gather all the people that want war together and force them to have hugs and love until they feel better about things. Then I asked her what she thought about world events. She laughed and said.."I think the same thing Grandma" and kept chuckling as if to say.... I haven't a clue what you are talking about, but I will play along.
Later I tried to get her to work a puzzle with me and she dumped the pieces on the floor, and I tried to ask her to pick them up, please. She ignored me and ventured over to the piano and started playing there and asked me if I wanted to play the piano with her. I said..."No because I am too sad about all the pieces of the puzzle on the floor, and that I might feel better if I could get some help picking them up. She climbed off of the piano bench and came over to me and put her arm around me and said..."I understand how you are feeling, but you have friends." I said.."Yes, and right now you are my friend that could help me pick up these pieces." She ignored me and went back to the piano and asked me again.."Do you want to play piano with me?" I again said..."No I am still sad because I need to get these pieces picked up. Could you help me?" Again she came over and put her arm around me and said "I know how you are feeling, but you have friends." This conversation went back and forth for at least 4 more times, and she did not waver her stance. Finally I said..."Well, could you just help me pick up all of the red pieces? She said..."Sure, I will help you pick up the red pieces." I thought to myself...ummm this seems to be working. She picked up two red pieces and then started acting like the teacher. She held up a blue piece and asked me what color it was and I told her and she said "Right...good job!" "Now you can pick the rest up and I will go play the piano."
She talks using some Spanish words that she has learned from watching Dora and some Chinese from watching Kai Lan and I don't know what she is saying. This little one is really going to keep me on my toes.

10 comments:

The Bug said...

What a hoot! She's a mess, that's for sure.

Rudee said...

She's going to make a great leader! She has a wonderful way of delegating tasks.

Myra said...

Hahaha... A girl with words to avoid already... watch out Grandma!!! 8-)

Sandy said...

hahahahahaha, oh my God, this is hilarious! hahaha. What fun you must have with her. Doesn't it make you wonder what her chosen career will be. I hope you share more of these stories...love them. And she's so cute too.

Renie Burghardt said...

I think you are quite right, Brenda, your cute little Maddie will keep you on your toes! HaHA. She is too smart for reverse phsychology. Grandma needs a new strategy.

Have a great weekend.

Renie

BJ said...

Oh Brenda! Do I ever love the dialogue of that little sweetie of yours!!!! She is a smart one for sure. Thanks for sharing that with us. My daughter will call me and tell me the things that Elijah says and I just get the biggest kick out of it.....because I love to hear these things! Our future world leaders!!!!

Reader Wil said...

What a great discription of a child behaving like a teacher!

Gramma Ann said...

LOL.... that is one sweet little girl. I love her line of thinking, you have friends. LOL... Oh my, she will be teaching Kayla, all she knows and more... What a hand full they will be. She sounds like a ball of fun.

Winifred said...

They seem to have this built in nowadays and an answer to everything. They make you laugh though and they look so sweet that sugar wouldn't melt!

Lauren has picked up some Spanish from Dora and some Chinese too. That will stop now as her Mam has cancelled Sky. She was getting bombarded with requests for too many unsuitable things which are advertised on the Nick Junior channel!

Brenda said...

Rosita,
I got your comment through email, but for some reason it won't show up here. Thanks everyone for your visits!

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever