Saturday, September 18, 2010

Humor

 
I have been in a semi-sad sort of mood these past couple of weeks.  At first I thought it was the change in season, but today I felt it was the news headlines.  I don't watch a lot of TV, but when I turn on my computer in the morning I see world headlines, etc. and I so rarely  see any upbeat, feel good news stories.  It really brings me down sometimes, if you know what I mean.  So I have been searching for some humor in life and remembered this little book that I got at a book fair one year. The copy I have was published in 1975, and it is simply a book written by children for their grandparents.  Now that I am a Grandma, I can't help wondering what my own grand children will say about me when they are between the ages of 4-12.  
I thought I would share some of the stories with you and hope it brightens your day a little.

One of a grandmother's most prized privileges is to spoil her grandchildren.  She arrives armed with pockets full of goodies, and special pocket-money to buy the child the things denied it by its parents for numerous good reasons-no cheesecakes because they have too much sugar for example.  Granny stuffs the child full of ice cream and cakes, and then leaves before it is sick.  Age 10 T. Ing

My granny is very game for her age.  I distinctly remember one day, when she took me on an outing to a park, and she said to me, shall we run around the Fish Pond, shouting at the top of our voices? and I asked her why, she said she felt like doing something naughty.  J Townson Age 10

Most grandmothers will spoil you if they can, but parents will butt in just as you're about to eat your third helping of cake, its awfully annoying.

I used to get a kick out of a TV show hosted by Art Linkletter and then later Bill Cosby called "Kids Say The Darndest Things".  I wish we could see more shows like that.  One show last season that I thought was pretty good was called "The Marriage Ref".  I'd like to see more humor and less seriousness this new Fall Season.




5 comments:

Gail said...

There are some questions you always dread from a child. One such question from a grandson, made me step back and really had to think. He asked, at a young age, What is a prostitute?

This was a biggy! How do you answer that? I went the safe route and asked him what it thought it was and he said, an artificial arm or leg...thank goodness, defining that was much easier than defining prostitute!

Rudee said...

The negativity of the news is designed to keep us tuned in, frightened and in line. That way, we're good little drones.

Shut off the news and make something more positive your home page. You could try food network, or a cartoon channel, or something. Anything but the news. If you need to see the news, make NPR your home page. You just might see genuine reporting going on.

I read print news, avoid television news and never watch shows designed to make me too afraid to leave my home (like Nancy Grace).

Brenda said...

Gail,
That one really cracked me up. You did good asking him what he thought it meant!

Rudee,
I will indeed check out NPR. Thanks for the tip. I have seen small parts of Nancy Grace and she is one scary character. Also Glenn Beck has the most annoying presentation...like fingernails on a chalkboard...along with Rush Limbaugh. I know these personalities are popular, but I can't bear to listen to them for more than 30 seconds to figure out why they are so popular. I miss Walter Cronkite.

Gramma Ann said...

I loved the Art Linkletter show and the Bill Cosby show also.

As far as the news goes, I take it with a grain of salt. And a lot of the news they make, because, there haven't been any plane crashes lately. And when there is a shooting of some kind the news media keeps replaying it over and over. Sometimes I think it would be better if they didn't even report the tragedies, it just gives the copycats ideas, they may not have thought of on their own.

I listen to the local news and weather, and never listen to Nancy Grace, can't stand her bellowing and the men forget it, they ain't never going to solve anything with their crazy debating back and forth.

Now down off my soap box, and back to my book. ; )

Myra said...

I think you need to change what your internet brings up when you first fire it up Brenda... Look for something fun for it to open on...

Though I haven't seen much of the Art Linkletter show, I have/do enjoy Bill Cosby's shows... Lately I've been having laughs watching The Golden Girls, Maude, and All in the Family... 8-)

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever