Saturday, September 25, 2010

Saturday Outings

  
Today we had a perfect weather day for a family outing.  This morning we went to our son-in-laws place of employment for a family day.  It was a special treat for us to get to go there because he works for the government in an area that needs security clearance and is not open to the public.  They only allowed us to see a few things, but what we did get to see was very interesting.  Outside they had some of the old fashioned games like throw the ball and dunk the boss.  And there were adorable little ponies for the children to ride on and Maddie got to ride one. This would have been the only thing we would have been allowed to photograph but my photos did not turn out well at all.


After we left there we went down to "The Loop" and had lunch at Fitz's Root Beer.  They still bottle the root beer here and the machinery looks very ancient.  The building is very stylish in a "deco loft" kind of way.  I just made that term up.  I don't know how else to describe it.  Ha ha.  This particular area called The Loop is very popular because of it's unique stores and restaurants  . There are six blocks of retail, restaurants, live music, café culture, and even a Walk-Of-Fame. A century ago at this location, streetcars from downtown “looped around” to return to the city, which gave the area its name.
 The addition of the St. Louis Walk of Fame, which honors famous St. Louisans with brass stars and informative plaques embedded in the sidewalk, further enhances pedestrian enjoyment of the area.  The last few sentences I swiped from the internet.  Could you tell?


After that I noticed an unusual building and Bob happened to know some of the history behind it.  I snapped a few photos and came back home to read some history about it.  Here is what I found out about it.


University City Hall was originally the Woman's Magazine Building and was built in 1903 by Edward Gardner Lewis to house his growing magazine. The five story octagonal shaped building was designed by Architect Herbert C. Chivers in a French Renaissance style. The lions in front were carved of stone by Sculptor William Bailey. When the building was built Lewis had the domed roof equipped with massive 80 inch search lights to attract people from the nearby 1904 Worlds Fair. Lewis moved to California in 1912 and completely moved his operations there by 1916. The building became city hall in 1930. To read more about the flamboyant E.G. Lewis and see a large collection of historic photographs see this website.   

If you go to the link there are lots of old photos of it being built.  It always amazes me that there are so many things like this right here in the city where I live and I am just now discovering them.  I don't get out much.  But I am never bored. I hate to use the word...never.  But, let's just say that the world is too full of exciting things to learn about, to not find something interesting to fill your mind with.

5 comments:

Gail said...

I love this building!!!

Rudee said...

I love the shape of that building. It sounds like you had a great day, and now I'm intrigued about what your son in law does for a living.

Sandy said...

I'm like you, always wanting to learn more and more. I enjoyed the post and photos and cool building.

And I am so curious on what is inside that government building...

The Bug said...

Sounds like a great day. It's always so interesting to see all the things around us that we've never noticed. Even in a semi-rural/small town setting like where I am now. It's small, but OLD, so there's lots to see & do if I would just get out there LOL!

Renie Burghardt said...

What a great outing, and I love your pictures. Got to visit the Loop, when I get to St. Louis later this fall. Wish we had some interesting places like that around here. You should have posted the picture of Maddie riding the pony.

Have a great week. We have the first fall-like day of the season today. But I enjoyed being out and about in it.

Hugs,

Renie

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever