Sunday, November 14, 2010

A Fun Trip to the Zoo

Friday was a beautiful weather day here and my friend from Texas was in town...so we spent the day at the Zoo.  The photo above is little Desi over in the left looking around.  His Dad, I believe is the darker spotted fella and his Mom has the lighter spots.  It looks like there is a third...I will just pretend she is Grandma.
Here is Desi getting some milk from Mom.  My friend Teresa has a sister who trains horses and has other animals like goats.  The last time she visited her, she wanted Teresa to help milk the goats.  She said you have to punch the area around the milk to get it to come down.  Thank goodness our babies don't come out punching our breasts to get the milk.  I did nurse my kids and it always seemed like a brain thing that caused the milk to come down.  Like once when I was at the grocery store waiting in line to check out and my brain had a thought..."Oh no...I stayed in here too long and it is time to feed the baby."  Right about then...milk started pouring out.  I wanted to get on the intercom and say.."Clean up at checkout No.4"  It was so embarrassing.  I also remember watching an award show on TV one time where Jane Seymour (who had just given birth to twins not long before the award show) walked up to receive her award and had a similar experience.  I think the first thing she said was..."Oh no...it must be feeding time."
Mom looks annoyed  that we are all gawking at her.  Sorry Mommy...but your new little boy is just so Cute!
With the cooler days at this time of the year...we got to see a lot more of the animals that don't like to walk around much in the summer heat.  Here is a snow leopard...that looked to me to getting on in years.  But I really don't know.  I think this may have been the first time that I have ever seen one other than the photo of the one on the mac software package.
Amur Tiger pacing on the ledge.  There were three of them.  You would have to have a really nice camera and lots of time to get some good shots of them.  I was just thrilled they were out and about.
I am pretty sure this Red Panda is new to our Zoo.  The last time I was there in the summer time, I don't remember seeing him.

This Bactrian Camel really put on a show for us.  He was strutting around like he was King of the Jungle. 
I read that in  spring they completely shed their thick dark winter coat, leaving them almost hairless during the hot summer months.
My friend said that they collect saliva and spit large amounts of it and it can travel pretty far.  He looked like he was ready to let loose...so we moseyed on down the road.
I had heard that zebras cannot be tamed, so after I took this photo I decided to do some looking around to find out why they cannot be tamed. They look like such peaceful gentle animals.  Here is what I found on Wiki.
Attempts have been made to train zebras for riding, since they have better resistance than horses to African diseases. Most of these attempts failed, though, due to the zebra's more unpredictable nature and tendency to panic under stress. For this reason, zebra-mules or zebroids (crosses between any species of zebra and a horse, pony, donkey or ass) are preferred over purebred zebras.
In England, the zoological collector Lord Rothschild frequently used zebras to draw a carriage. In 1907, Rosendo Ribeiro, the first doctor in Nairobi, Kenya, used a riding zebra for house calls. In the mid-19th century, Governor George Grey imported zebras to New Zealand from his previous posting in South Africa, and used them to pull his carriage on his privately owned Kawau Island.

A tamed zebra being ridden in East Africa
Captain Horace Hayes, in "Points of the Horse" (circa 1893) compared the usefulness of different zebra species. In 1891, Hayes broke a mature, intact mountain zebra stallion to ride in two days time, and the animal was quiet enough for his wife to ride and be photographed upon. He found the Burchell's zebra easy to break, and considered it ideal for domestication, as it was immune to the bite of the tsetse fly. He considered the quagga well-suited to domestication due to being easy to train to saddle and harness.[6]

So it appears at least one person was able to train them.  I would be interested to know if there are other stories about them. 

 I have not found out the name of these animals, even after looking on the Zoo's website.  I just like how they blended in with the rocks.

I have a few more photos but will save those for another day.

1 comment:

Rudee said...

Baby Desi is adorable. Are those last photos yaks? I don't know. THeir horns look goat like. I also thought...mmm...maybe bison. Dunno.

SOunds like you had a great day at the zoo.

Now I'm humming Simon and Garfunkel. Something tells me it's all happening at the zoo. I do believe it, I do believe it's true.

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever