Monday, December 6, 2010

The Cats


 A couple of weeks ago these little kittens and their mommy showed up at our back door and we fed them.  The mother cat seemed to be a very good mother because she made sure all of her kittens ate first and only after they were finished did she go eat what was left.  Every day I would check to see if they ate whatever I put out there.  It was always gone the next morning so I assumed they were managing on what I was giving them.  The white one is really really cute and only came back maybe a few times after the first day.  I think someone that could have cats inside.. may have taken her in... because she was probably the cutest of the three... at first glance.  The yellow one came back last week and would come right up to the window and meow.  This one seemed to be really attached to its mother...always trying to get under her to nurse.  Now this week it seems the darker one has reappeared with its mother.  I can't figure out why we see one kitten at a time for one week and then not the others and wonder if they will ever reappear all together again.  Only one night about 2 weeks ago did I see them all together nursing from the Mom.

 MOM

 The last kitty.

 Last week I saw two adult cats come for the food and no kittens.  One cat looked just like the mother of the kittens only it was quite a bit larger.  And earlier that week a raccoon ate the food.  Then today I saw this yellow cat. 

 I am wondering if this could be the Dad because one of the kittens was like the yellow one here. 

 I have a feeling they will  be on their way soon.  I can't keep feeding all the stray cats.  I was so surprised to see so many of them that just roam around.  I have seen cats off and on in  the neighborhood before and I just assumed someone had outside cats.  None of the ones I have seen though has had a collar.  At first I felt so bad for them because our temperatures have been below freezing, but they seem to know what to do to take care of themselves.  I think insides cats are always wanting to get outside sometimes...and some outside cats are always wanting to get inside.  I think they do better outside if you have a barn or building for protection.  They seem happy exploring about wherever they fancy.  We had 2 cats when we were first married.  I remember them being very independent, and wanting to run out the door if it opened.  Oh well...I think they are adorable and fun to watch, but I can't keep them so I wish them well.

7 comments:

The Bug said...

People really should get their pets spayed or neutered. Seems like these cats are doing ok, but so many don't...

Kat Mortensen said...

As much as I adore cats, it really angers me that people let them run wild without getting them fixed. The overpopulation of pets is criminal! No one wins in this situation - the female cats have far too many kittens and usually die fairly young, and the males are aggressive and always vying to be partner when they are in heat.

People get your cats FIXED!
Kittens are cute, but when they get older and they're fending for themselves in the cold and starving to death, you only have yourself to blame.

Sorry. Rant over.

I'm glad you're feeding them Brenda. You have a good heart.

Kat

Brenda said...

I am afraid the problem with these cats is that they have no home and maybe never did. With no collar there is no way to know. Now the only thing I can think of to do is to call a shelter that will come and get them.

Renie Burghardt said...

Like the BUG and Kat, I hate that people don't spay and neuter their cats, so there won't be anymore kittens born belonging to no one, etc. I can't stand that idea. The shelter is probably a good idea Brenda. Glad they're not around here, because I can't bear to see homeless animals, and always end of giving them a home. I think the MO Humane Society would take good care of them and maybe find them a home. One can hope...

Rudee said...

I think those cats have a facebook page and they've put your address out for all the other cats, and raccoons. Maybe they're on twitter: For a free meal, go see Brenda!

I miss that cat I befriended last year.

Brenda said...

Rudee,
I just checked facebook. They have a page and saw my first post there about feeding the kittens. Damn facebook. Ha ha. Seriously some people do have their pets on facebook. And I remember your Mr Mocha Latte.

Sandy said...

they are sure cute! I miss my cats.

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever