Friday, December 10, 2010

A Meal Fit For A Queen....and King

Last night Bob and I attended a Parish Council Christmas Dinner and it was all prepared beautifully by one of our Deacon's.  Bob has been on the Parish Council for the past 3 years and this is the second dinner I have enjoyed.  Last year I was sick and believe me...I was very sick...to have missed one of these meals.  This man and his wife are excellent cooks.  I don't think I have ever dined at a 5 star restaurant...that I remember....but I personally give this a 5 star rating.  We started with appetizers of shrimp cocktail and assorted cheeses and crackers and this yummy dish called
It is a Pampered Chef recipe. 
Very tasty.


Then we had Spiced Carrrot-Apple Soup with Fresh Mint

This was served warm.  I could eat this every day.
After the soup we had Lettuce with a Lemon Zest Dressing.
The dressing was made with 4 Tablespoons Olive Oil and 2 Tablespoons White Wine Vinegar 
with 1 teaspoon of Lemon zest. 
It was a light salad...one  that did not ruin your appetite for the main dish.


He poured a Teriyaki Apple Butter Sauce over the meat..
16 ounces of apple butter
4 ouces teriyaki sauce
2 Tablespoons onion powder
2 Tablespoons cinnamon
2 Tablespoons vanilla

If I were looking through recipes at home and saw this.. I doubt I would have ever tried to make it.  But after tasting it, I can tell you it was worth all the effort he put into it.  Very tasty.  When you don't know what you are going to eat  beforehand ...you taste this and that.. and it becomes a game.  What's that taste?  Is that....? My husband was the one who figured out that the sauce had Apple Butter in it.  I was still trying to figure out the fruits in the pork.

One of the  side dishes was Golden Corn and Saffron Polenta  which was just "okay" for me.  I am glad that I had a chance to try it, because again I would never have tried to make this. 
The photo below is what it looks like minus the meat.  


Our green vegetable was really really tasty and again...not one that I would have tried to make at home.  It was Chef Zak Pelaccio's Brussel Sprouts.


And our dessert was Caramel Cashew Cheesecake shown below. 


I can't remember the last time  I tasted REAL whipped cream for a topping.
It was all too perfect.  
And I wanted to remember it all ...so I decided to write it all down for reference later when I get inspired to make some really tasty food.
Click on the links to find the recipes.  Bon Appetit!


7 comments:

The Bug said...

Oh wow - glad I read this late at night when I'm feeling pretty full! It looks FABULOUS!

Patty said...

Double WOW, it all looks so good, especially early in the morning and I've not had any breakfast yet. But then I have a feeling it would look good even if I were full.

Katy said...

Adding another wow to the comments here. There is nothing better than a great meal prepared with love. All those wonderful flavors and colors sound amazing.

Renie Burghardt said...

Except for the polenta and brussel sprouts, neither which I like, everything looks delicious! That cheese cake and the brie would be my favorites. Funny, I made pork loin today, and glazed it with apricot preserves. Loved it.

We are having our church Christmas dinner next Saturday, and a Christmas party at the American Legion next week as well. (Greg's a member, so we get to go, too!)

Hope you enjoyed tonights outing!

Renie

Rudee said...

It all looks pretty fabulous. I had a creamy truffle polenta last night that was out of this world. Today I'm home sick and snowed in. Blech.

Glad you didn't miss the dinner this year, Brenda!

Reader Wil said...

Patty says:"Double wow!"I would say:"triple Wow!"It all looks so tasty and very beautifully served! Since I live by myself, I don't cook very elaborate meals, though always tasty enough for me.
Have a wonderful Christmas and a very happy 2011!

Sandy said...

oh wow, more more more. I love food photos and descriptions and it sounds like a wonderful meal!!

great post..yummy.

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever