Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Never Judge a Book By It's Cover.....nor a little white kitten by its gentle nature

 I still put out food for these two little kittens, because I  have not found a home for them.  Some days I worry about them and hope they are okay.  I called the Humane Society and every other place I could think of and they all told me the same thing.  No room at the Inn.  Occasionally I ask people I talk to if they can take them or if they know anyone  that may want them.  No takers yet.  In the mean time.... when they show up they usually entertain me.  Today the sun was out for just an hour, I think and they frolicked around the back playing.  The white kitten has always looked very weak to me and doesn't seem to eat as much as the black one, and I have always worried that she just won't make it out there in the big bad world if she doesn't defend herself and stop letting the little black one always have the food.  Maddie and I have named them Salt and Pepper.  Pepper is wild and playful...and jumps on the pine trees and climbs up them.  He (or she) is the daredevil that goes out on the ice in our pool.  Salt seems low key..only eating after Pepper or anyone else is done.  I say everyone, because we have 5 adults cats coming around trying to get their share of the food.  One large  cat comes around that we have named Tiger Barn Cat.  He looks like a tiger and what I think a "Barn Cat" looks like.  The name seems to fit.  All of the cats are fascinating to watch.  At times they seem to talk to each other with their eyes.
  Today I noticed Salt and Pepper looking a little threatened, and looked over to the side of the yard just in time to see Tiger Barn Cat approaching.  Brave and daring Pepper shot under the porch like a scared little rabbit, while shy and laid back Salt arched her back and defended their food.  Tiger Barn Cat stomped his paw and hissed to them as if that was enough to scare them off.  Salt stood firm in front of the bowls and hissed back, and big old Tiger Barn Cat took off.


 
Little Pepper came back out of its hiding spot very impressed with Salt.  She ate the rest of the food.


Other than watching the cats....I have not been feeling well off and on, and busy.  Hope to make more time soon to catch up with blogging and visiting blogs.

4 comments:

Gigi Ann said...

Well what a nice little story about Salt and Pepper. I can't take them off of your hands, I have a dog and a cat that live here in the house with me.

We have to have our cats and dogs licensed and go to city hall and show them that all their shots are up to date. It's $5:00 a pet. They are trying to cut down on stray cats and dogs roaming around town.

I hope you are feeling better, I think we experience Winter time blues, sometimes and that makes us have up and down days. I decided it is 60 days until Spring, and warmer weather.

Rudee said...

Great names for "your" kitties, for that's what they are you know...yours. Salt sounds so brave.


Hope you're feeling better. I was wondering where you'd been hiding and hoped it was someplace warm and sunny.

Sandy said...

Enjoyed reading about Salt and Pepper, cute names. Reminds me of some chickens we had once that my son named lunch and dinner.

anyway...hope you doing okay and feeling better....

Winifred said...

Aren't cats fascinating?

I wish I lived near you I'd take them Brenda. Our old cat Oscar is nearly 21 and I know he won't last much longer as he has kidney problems and doesn't like the renal cat diet food.

My husband says no more cats as they will outlast us but I know we'd take in a stray. All our cats have been unwanted ones that people have given us or have been found.

Hope you find a good home for them soon and that you're feeling better before long.

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever