Friday, January 21, 2011

Some Knitting Projects

 I finally finished the blanket that I was knitting for Kayla....but it turns out.. that it is now Maddie's.  She watched me working on it, and I told her it was for Kayla, but she kept telling me how much she liked it and I caved and gave it to her.  Now I will start one for Kayla and maybe get it done by the time she is old enough to know it is hers.  I was not happy with the way the corners came together but...I don't know how I could have done it any different.  I am still learning and making lots of mistakes along the way.

Like this one.  When I saw this pattern in the book, I really loved it, because it was blocked like a quilt.  The stitches are really small and tight and it seemed it took me forever to do.  When it was finally time to join the blocks, I just did not like the way it looked at all.  I am still holding this one back for further work in the future....if I can figure out what to do with it.  These two projects have made me want to NOT do anymore knitting that has to be joined together.  I did complete one sock and used the  Kitchener stitch, which is an invisible stitch to join parts together.  It worked fine for the sock.. but not for these bigger items.  It is so disappointing for me to do work that is not perfect.  But....while working on these knitted projects I have enjoyed watching a lot of Netflix movies and documentaries.  We bought 2 new TV's for Christmas that have internet connectivity and I love the instant streaming of movies and documentaries through Netflix.  My first pick was the 8 part series of "The Pillars of the Earth" and I thought it was really good.  I am currently reading the book on my iPhone reader.  I bought the book years ago, but a 900 plus page book is hard to read in bed, so I had only read about half of it when I bought it.  I love reading books on my electronic reader.

9 comments:

Rudee said...

My goodness, that's an enormous and beautiful blanket. I can see how all that feather and fan lace can be overwhelming, and corners are tricksy for everyone. Still, it's just gorgeous and all the more precious because it's already loved. You are a wonderful Knitter, Brenda!

Piecework is hard, but one of these days, I'm going to conquer the Great American Aran Afghan for me, myself and I. Maybe when I retire. You can't kitchener stitch such items, so that particular afghan has garter stitch borders on each square that are woven together.

The Bug said...

Well you might not be pleased, but I think it's gorgeous!

Brenda said...

Rudee,
I wish we lived closer to each other or that I had time to join a group of experienced knitters. Just you leaving me this comment has helped. I wonder if I had made garter stitch borders on these and had woven them it would have turned out better. Oh well....we learn by our mistakes I guess. It was just a lot of work put into it and I so wanted the results to be perfect.

Dana,
Thanks! You will get bitten with the knitting bug soon. Rudee was the one who encouraged me to do it.

Star said...

I like your blankets very much. The mauve one is a lovely, calm colour. I wouldn't worry too much about the sewing up. You can also knit the edges together or easier still, try crocheting them together.
http://stitching-stars.blogspot.com

Rudee said...

Brenda, if you are intent on more big blankie projects,look at the Mason Dixon Log Cabin Blanket. A freebie, it does away with pesky weaving issues and is a gorgeous pattern.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/moderne-baby-blanket

Winifred said...

Brenda those blankets are gorgeous. Maybe you are like me I always find fault with the things I make.

For years it out me off making things. I find other people don't pick faults and think the things I make are fine. Lauren especially likes what I make for her and her teddy!

Renie Burghardt said...

I think the blankets are beautiful! How long to complete the one Maddie claimed? Love the picture of Kayla with the blankie. How sweet she looks!

Brenda said...

Star,
I do combine crochet. I tend to do my own thing. Ha...I also try to figure my own way of covering up my mistakes. That could be why I don't like the end results. I know there are better ways to make it look more "professional"

Rudee,
Thanks! I did check that one out. Very nice....I will give it a try someday. I also need to check out Ravelry more often.

Winifred,
I love doing all handmade projects...but I am so critical of all of my work. It doesn't keep me from starting new ones though. Long time no see! Hope you are well!

Renie,
Thanks! I think the amethyst blanket took me about 6 months. I am not a fast knitter. It is a calming activity for me. I just heard on the news yesterday that knitting lowers your blood pressure.

Sandy said...

I need internet streaming TV's..that would be cool.

I love what you knitted ..it is beautiful! I'm impressed. I rememer years ago knitting and I just might take it up again some day when life gets back to normal...

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever