Monday, March 21, 2011

Grandparent Talk


 
Katy and I did a little shopping yesterday and while we in a toy store, she showed me these cards called Around the Table Games that one of her co-workers created. Her name is Beth Daniels and she is an occupational therapist and mother of two.  You can click on the link to find out about the ones that her young daughter created called "Buddy Talk" and "Camp Talk".   I bought the "Grandparent Talk", obviously.   Maddie and I got it out today.

 
My first question was "Where did you hang out as a teenager?"  I told Maddie I hung out with my girlfriends at their house or my house, or just walking back and forth to each others houses.  I grew up in a small town, so there really wasn't anything to do.  We didn't even have a movie theater or park to go to.  We collected records with our babysitting money and then listened to each others records in our rooms and sometimes tried to dance like the kids on American Bandstand.  Maddie is a little too young to appreciate this game, but I think it will come in useful for the future.  It will be good for those times...when you want to change the subject or you just can't think of anything to talk about, like on a long car ride or just sitting around the house.
The questions look fun.  Another one I just turned to is "How did you get to school?"  I really was one of those kids that walked to school..... up hill.... both ways......as Bill Cosby used to say in his comedy routines.
I used to love telling that sob story to my kids when they were little.  These cards have some questions that I may not have thought to tell them nor would they think of to ask me.  They may make for interesting blogging material, so I may answer a few more on my blog somtime down the road.

7 comments:

The Bug said...

That looks like a great thing - I might have to get one & make my dad write out answers to the questions :)

Rudee said...

What a great idea and the perfect way to learn family history. I'm afraid some of my answers would make eyebrows raise and hairs stand on end.

Winifred said...

That is a really good idea. Nice talking points for teenagers.

I used to walk to school too. Then back uphill and via the beach in good weather despite dire warnings from my Mam! My Dad would have bettered it by saying he walked to school barefoot. I;m still doubtful but I do know they were very poor.

Renie Burghardt said...

We used to go dancing all the time, when I was a teen, and we had a ball. Oh, the jitter bug and polka were fun. We danced it with each other. But the tango was always danced with a boy! lol Those were the days!

Hope you're having nice weather. We certainly are. Spring is here.

Hugs,

Renie

bettyjf1 said...

I love this idea. Helps us remember "the good ole days" too

Brenda said...

Dana,
Yes...ask lots of questions. I wish I had asked so many more when my parents were still living.

Rudee,
Hahahah.....So would some of mine, if I could remember them. The good thing about ageing is that I can't always remember things correctly. I swore my cousins and I did something and they both say they don't remember it happening...so either my memory is off or theirs...or I did it with someone else. Who knows.

Winifred,
My Grandpa said he wore rags tied to his feet sometimes when they had no money, and that he quit school in 2nd grade to go to work for the family. You had a beach. Wow that sounds great!

Renie,
So you know the Tango. I would love to be able to do that dance...or wished I had learned more dances when I was younger. We did the imperial, and twist and mashed potatoes and swim. Kids today would say.....WHAT?????

Betty,
You are in my generation, so I am sure we could swap similar stories.

Thanks every one for visiting!

Sandy said...

What a great idea. I'll have to look into those.

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever