Sunday, March 27, 2011

Hard To Believe....

This photo does not have all that much to do with what I want to write about, but I don't have the most fitting photos for it just yet.  This photo is of our wisteria that was about ready to bloom.  I look at the snow outside and I see it.....I just have a hard time believing it.  Last night we went to a Mass and Celebration of Marriage Dinner and Dance at our church.  We dressed up a little fancy and brought photos of our wedding day to show to others.  They also had a professional photographer there to take our photos but we will not receive those until sometime in April....so maybe I will do another post with that photo sometime around our anniversary.  During the Mass we renewed our Wedding Vows and Bob and I got a little teary eyed.  It is so different saying those vows after 33 years together than it was on our Wedding Day.  So much has happened through all of those years together.  We could see it all... in each others eyes.  The painful times, the extremely happy times, the births of our children, their first day of school, their graduations, marriage and births of our grand children, job changes, moving to new homes, and the countless times we had to forgive each other for something that hurt the other.  I am pretty sure he had to forgive me much more than I had to forgive him....but I don't think keeping score on who did what is all that important.  The fact that we are still together after it all..is what is important.  I looked around the church and saw many people we know that are widowed, and wondered what they were thinking and feeling as we renewed our vows.  I hope they were saying the same words to their partners silently in their hearts.
Recently Bob found some poems we wrote to each other the first year of our marriage.  I was afraid to read them at first, but when I did I was pleasantly surprised to see they were pretty good.  I have never thought I had a knack for poetry writing, unless it could be a very silly jokey thing.  So I don't know where those inspirations came from so many years ago.  I may have to renew that part of me and try again someday soon.

4 comments:

Winifred said...

What a beautiful post Brenda. It brought the tears to my eyes just reading it. It must have been a lovely service.

About 18 months ago we were in Rhodes for our 40th anniversary. Very different to where we went for our honeymoon in the UK where it rained most of the time. As I sat in the church like you, I thought about all the things that had happened happy and sad. Like you we have survived thank God.

You don't know what life is going to bring you that day you start out together do you. What's lovely is that you survived it. So many young people sadly don't. Happy anniversary and here's wishing you many more to come!

The Bug said...

I think you should post your poems - unless you think there're too personal. I'd love to read them.

Rudee said...

Such a lovely post, Brenda. The day sounds like it was very special. Congratulations on having what it takes to tough it out!

Sorry about the snow. I hope it doesn't ruin your plants.

Patty said...

If the poems aren't too personal, you'll have to post one or two. This was a very nice post. No we don't know all the things we will be going through that first day we marry. Believe me after almost 56 years, we have gone through a lot together, illnesses, surgeries, broken bones, kids getting married, kids getting divorced, grandkids, losing family member to illnesses and etc. But we're like the Timex commercials, we take a licking and keep on ticking. LOL Hang in there.

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever