Thursday, March 31, 2011

What were some fashion trends when you were little......


I thought this might be an interesting question to answer, from the Grandparent Talk cards.  I suppose I was "young" in the 50's, so I have pulled out a few school photos.


  
It seems plaid was very popular.  Guess what...it still is.  I have told my husband.. when we go out shopping for his clothes.... that mens shirts just don't ever seem to change very much.
I still like plaid shirts when I can find them.  They make me feel warm and relaxed.

Of course the biggest "fashion trend"  in the fifties for girls was the poodle skirt.
I had one but I can not find the photo of it, so I found this to borrow.  The teens had a different look....
We had to wear dresses or skirts to school and not shorts or pants.  And the dresses had to go to the knee.  When we weren't in school we looked like the Little Rascals running around playing all day and evening.


I guess the rich and glamorous women looked like this....but I didn't know any.  My Mom wore house dresses.  She did dress nicely when she was younger though.



I have a memory of a poodle hair style....but I can not find a photo of one and have googled it and still can't find it.

I think it could have been this look....but I don't really think so.  I will have to keep looking.....because it will drive me crazy if I can't remember it.....

2 comments:

The Bug said...

I was in elementary school in the 70s & I remember longing for some elephant ear pants - but my mom has no memory of that so it must have been an internal longing :)

Rudee said...

I really remember my bell bottom pants the most. I was a rebel--the first to wear trousers in my school. Got sent home for the effort, too.

Speaking of freaks, there was Mr. L, the music teacher, who would stand at the end of the breezeway with a ruler. Ostensibly, his job was to measure how short a girl's skirt was, but upon adult reflection, we know what he was really doing there, don't we?

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever