Friday, April 8, 2011

Oscar the Grouch and I are seeing eye to eye lately....

I have a bad case of the yuckies this week.   On Monday I went to a long overdue appointment to my  Gastroenterologist for a follow up test on my Barrett's esophagus.  It was diagnosed about 6 years ago and I was suppose to come back after 3 years.  I expected a scolding, but not one as severe as I got.  I won't go into it all, but to just sum it up..he said that I was not taking this very serious, by not coming in and by not taking the medicine he prescribed to me.  I knew he was probably right so I just sat there and took it.  He went on and on ...a little too long though... and I was getting ready to say.."Can we just get to the next step of this visit, where you tell me to go have the test."  Eventually he did...and I did.. have the test the next day, in fact.  But only because he turned me over to a very stern test scheduling woman (sorry....I don't know her official title).  I wanted to do it on Friday or Monday when I had a day off.   She said he doesn't do Fridays or Mondays....and that I had put it off long enough. The only time that he had available was the next day.  So...I went and we all managed somehow.  I was going to take a cab but she said I couldn't.  My son was able to be my driver.

I don't know why..but I thought this was funny.  And they were right.  The sedation they use is very very strange.  It was really really difficult to wake up from the anesthesia.  I felt much more like I had been out drinking all night and was still a wee bit drunk.  I started taking off the blood pressure cuff and finger thing....my son later told me.  They had to encourage me to cooperate.  There was music playing and I yelled out..."Supertramp"!  My son said............. "What..???"  I said.... "That is the band that is playing the song."  They  used to be one of my favorite bands in the 70's.  I thought it was kind of nice of them to play music there.  It probably makes for a happier day for the RN's and anesthesiologists that work there every day.  They seemed to enjoy joking around with each other and singing along to the songs.  (I noticed all of that before I went in for the procedure)  After the endoscopy....I just had that short drunk phase and then an odd wide awake phase, where I told them I was... ready to go home and got dressed and left.  I didn't have any trouble walking by myself...but driving would have been out of the question.
I find out the results today.  I also get to go pick up my new glasses.  We have all been really sick around here with colds that just don't want to go away.  Spring time in St. Louis is colorful and pretty....but the allergies, etc. are a real bear to deal with.  My daughter and grand daughters all have something.  It is hard to tell if it is allergies or a real cold sometimes.  I think about one more month and the allergies will settle down. 
Well....it is 6:00 a.m. and I am going to try and get back to sleep.  My cough woke me up around 4.  Hoping for a better day today.....


4 comments:

The Bug said...

Man - that was a rough couple of days! I LOVE that you yelled out Supertramp - LOL. I would have yelled back Frampton Comes Alive! Which really doesn't mean anything :)

Hope you were able to get some more sleep.

Rudee said...

I bet that doctor is a lousy patient, too. I hope all turns out well with your results, Brenda.

I would have given anything to hear you hollerin' out rock bands in the recovery room.

Brenda said...

Thanks Dana and Rudee. My results came back okay. Don't have to go back for 3 years, but still have to follow the medication plan and the diet. I do think the Dr. was over board on the scare tactics he presented to me...but maybe I would feel different if the results had not come back ok.

Sandy said...

Had to laugh a little at your expense - "Supertramp"..haha.

what a mean doc..kind of...

Clifford 1994 to 2009

Clifford   1994 to 2009
The Best Dog Ever